A THAMESMEAD mum in a block of flats which was left without water for more than 30 hours says the problem ‘would not happen in Chelsea’.

Families in around 40 flats in Paddlesteamer House, Pettacre Close, woke up to no water on the day before so-called Blue Monday (January 6) when workers return to jobs after the festive break.

Resident Rebecca Howitt, 41, hit out at housing association Hyde Housing for failing to respond quickly after she reported the problem on January 5 at 9.30am.

The mother-of-one says five-litre bottles of water were finally delivered nearly 17 hours later at 2am with the water eventually switched on at 4pm the following day.

News Shopper: Thamesmead mum hits out at housing association for not fixing water supply; pictured Rebecca Howitt, left, and Vicky Pownall

Speaking before the problem was fixed, Ms Howitt said: “It is absolutely outrageous.

“There are young children, families, people who need to go to work.

“Obviously it is becoming a health hazard.

“I think it is disgusting how they are treating people.

“You can’t even flush the loo.

“Here we are - no light at the end of the tunnel.

“It wouldn’t happen in Chelsea.

“It’s not a good start to the new year.”

She says she was forced to stay with friends in Bromley in order to cook following the water supply problem which was reportedly caused by an electrical fault.

Hyde Housing has apologised for the inconvenience to residents but Ms Hewitt says she feels it should not have taken complaints to councillors and the media in order to get a response.

She said: “I don’t think you should have to do that to get a response from them.

“They have a care of duty.

“It is just incompetence and shows how inefficient they are.”

A Hyde Housing Association spokeswoman said: “We apologise to our residents in Paddle Steamer House, Pettacre Close, Greenwich, for the inconvenience caused to them when their water supply went off.

“Bottled water was provided to all residents the same day. We’re sorry it took longer than anticipated to repair the problem.

“As soon as we were notified, we worked hard with our contractors to establish what was causing the problem, and to rectify it as quickly as possible.”