AN HIV sufferer found washed up on an Erith riverbank killed himself, an inquest has ruled.

The body of Jamie Tyer, 32, was discovered by a member of the public on the shoreline near Church Manorway on March 25 at around 7.15am.

Mr Tyer, who suffered from several medical conditions including Burkitt’s lymphoma, bipolar, and personality disorder, left a suicide note on the anniversary of his partner’s death on February 24.

He is believed to have taken a cocktail of drugs - including fatal levels of prescribed sleeping pills - and drowned in the river where he was found a month later.

Friend-of-12-years Susan Coleman, from Brighton, said: "Personally, I just want to say he’s sorely missed.

"He was an incredibly intelligent man but life dealt him some terrible things.

"He was very brave. The main thing is we are really proud of him."

An inquest at Croydon Coroners’ Court on November 5 heard how Mr Tyer was in pain and had attempted suicide at least three times.

A note found at his home in Tower Hamlets read: "This is my final goodbye. I was waiting patiently for today.

"I am tired of life, this is the end."

CCTV footage saw him walking to a canal on February 24 and not returning after buying vodka.

An autopsy found there were fatal levels of prescribed drugs in his blood, including Zopiclone which treats insomnia, and his cause of death was consistent with drowning and drug overdose.

Addressing consultant psychologist Dr John Cookson, who had cared for Mr Tyer since 2011, friend Stephen Fowler said: "I am wondering why, on the anniversary of his partner’s death, there were no alarm bells ringing to protect him around that anniversary?"

Dr Cookson replied: "As far as alarm bells, I think they were ringing all the time from the moment when I first met him.

"He talked a great deal about suicide and how it was always on his mind."

He said although admitting someone to hospital might help with a short-term crisis it was difficult to detain someone expressing suicidal thoughts on a long-term basis.

He went on to say Mr Tyer was not easy to help and was sometimes abusive towards the psychiatric team.

Marine Police Unit, Bexley police officers, paramedics and Gravesend's lifeboat all attended on March 25 where Mr Tyer was pronounced dead at the scene.

For confidential support call the Samaritans in the UK on 08457 90 90 90, visit a local Samaritans branch or click here.