A PENSIONER died after becoming trapped under his own car in New Cross last night, according to a neighbour who witnessed attempts to resuscitate him. 

Emergency services were called at around 8pm to a 79-year-old man in cardiac arrest at the scene of the incident in Amersham Road near the junction with Lewisham Way.

Named locally as George, it is thought he became trapped under a car he may have been working on in the back yard of a terraced house in Lewisham Way. 

Efforts were made to resuscitate him at the scene and on the way to King’s College Hospital but he was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.

Saiqua Islam says paramedics tried to revive the pensioner in front of her detached home in Amersham Road after removing fence panels to get him out of the back yard. 

The 32-year-old told News Shopper: "I am shocked because he's a neighbour and I have seen him quite a few times. 

"We thought he was repairing the car and then it's fallen on him. 

"They put those things on his chest and they were trying to revive him for a long time before the ambulance took him away."

News Shopper:

The scene of the incident in Amersham Road looking towards Lewisham Way. 

Andrew Marshall, 24, was staying with his friend Luke Shaw, 24, in his flat overlooking the yard when they went outside for a cigarette at around 8.30pm to see the front end of a silver Ford Fiesta sticking out into Amersham Drive having come through a fence.

The Norwich University business management student said: "I just thought it was some idiot who had gone through the fence and it was nothing too bad but it seems it was a bit more serious.

"There is a neighbour who stores cars in the back garden. The one which came through the fence hit two other cars parked there as well I believe." 

London Ambulance Service sent an ambulance crew, a motorcycle rider, a car and a duty officer to the scene.

Officers from the road death investigation unit are now investigating the incident.

The crash is the second fatal accident in New Cross in recent days: a man in his 40s passed away on Wednesday after being hit by a BMW outside New Cross station on Sunday night. 

Early this morning, an accident on the A2 New Cross Road saw the road closed both ways between Amersham Road and Florence Road.

Both carriageways are now open again following the crash at around 6am. 

Did you see what happened in last night's incident? Call 01689 885702, e-mail tim.macfarlan@london.newsquest.co.uk or tweet @NewsShopperTim