BOB OGLEY looks back at the turbulent life of singer Dorothy Squires.

TWO weeks ago I explained how actor Roger Moore was married to singer Dorothy Squires and the couple lived at The Mount, Bexley.

It was a troubled relationship, mainly because of the Welsh recording artist’s temperamental and emotional performances on and off stage.

Almost 40 years ago, St Michael’s Mount, the house she loved and where she regularly entertained her many showbiz friends, was razed to the ground.

Dorothy narrowly escaped the fire with her life but lost many treasured possessions, including her much-loved standard poodle, Jason.

It was discovered this beautiful house was badly underinsured.

It was at St Michael’s Mount in 1953 where Dorothy met Roger Moore.

She was hosting a party for her recording manager, Norman Newell, and a friend brought along the tall, good-looking then aspiring actor.

Although unknown at the time, Moore went on to find fame and fortune in Ivanhoe and The Saint on TV and later as James Bond on the big screen.

Roger stayed the night and Dorothy fell madly in love with the actor who was 12 years her junior.

He was already married but after a quick divorce Dorothy became his second wife months later.

There were so many parties at their Bexley home, Dorothy tried to have it registered as a club but the council turned it down.

As Roger became more successful, Dorothy’s career slumped.

Jealous of her husband’s rising fame, she became a heavy drinker.

As the marriage floundered, Moore moved in with Italian actress Luisa Mattioli, whom he had met on location.

Dorothy refused a divorce and her animosity towards Moore became an obsession.

She attempted several comebacks and, in 1970, took the unprecedented step of hiring the London Palladium for her own show.

It was a massive success, a sell-out.

She released a double album and regained a loyal following, still evident by her fan club today.

Then, in 1974, came the fire and the destruction of her home.

Television appearances ceased but she gained much press coverage for court appearances, issuing more than 20 legal actions for libel.

She also appeared at the Old Bailey on corruption charges, of which she was acquitted.

The courts eventually branded Dorothy Squires a vexacious litigant and barred her from issuing any further lawsuits.

She moved back to Wales where she died in 1983 as a poverty-stricken recluse.

There is no doubt her personality changed with the collapse of the marriage, and the great blaze at St Michael’s Mount closed this chapter.

Write to me at Bob Ogley, News Shopper, Mega House. Crest View Drive, Petts Wood, Kent BR5 1BT, email or visit