Cray Wanderers continued their fine recent form with a convincing victory against Horsham at Culver Road.  This was the first of two successive Saturday meetings with the Hornets travelling to Hayes Lane on 7th October in the FA Trophy.

The game was basically won by the 31st minute as two headed goals by centre-half Marcus Evans and a Michael Power penalty gave Cray a degree of comfort by half time.  Cray also saw an effort hit the crossbar through Power as the Wands put in an impressive display despite being without a number of first team regulars through injury and suspension.

Cray had won their last two games and had lost just one of their first eight league matches.  Horsham had lost their last three league games and found themselves a goal down to the Wands in just five minutes.  Cray were awarded a free kick 30 yards from goal.  Karl Dent’s floated the ball towards goal and Evans arched a header which appeared at first instance to be dropping over the bar but instead was misjudged by keeper Josh James and the ball looped into the net.

In the 16th minute Cray were awarded a penalty when Lea Dawson's superb ball through to Aaron Rhule down the left beat the offside trap and was upended by James for a spot kick.  Michael Power converted his fourth spot kick in three games to give Cray a degree of comfort early on.

Three minutes later it was almost 3-0 when another swift Cray move saw the ball come to Rhule down the left who laid the ball across to Power who steered a first time shot against the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the arms of the keeper although at first instance it seemed the ball had crossed the line but no goal was given.

Cray continued to dominate and just after the half hour Rhule saw a near post shot turned behind by James for a corner which led to the third goal.  From the left wing corner in the 31st minute, Dent’s fine cross was met by an unmarked Evans who steered a header into the net.

The game to all intent and purposes was done after that as Cray soaked up what Horsham could throw at them in the second half.  Cray almost scored a fourth when Rhule was denied by a fine block save by James and Jay Leader headed wide following a free kick.

In the last few minutes Horsham ended the game quite strongly and  Steve Metcalf made a good run down the right and laid the ball into the area for Toby House whose close range effort brought out a fine save by Nick Blue diving to the left who had little to do for most of the afternoon.

The final opportunity of the game again fell to Horsham when George Landais cross shot was palmed away well by Blue.

Despite tailing off in the second half, Cray were worthy winners and go into Wednesday night’s local derby with Phoenix Sports in good spirits and up to eighth place in the league table.

Cray Wanderers: Nick Blue, Barney Williams, Dean Carpenter, Jay Leader, Marcus Evans, Lea Dawson (Capt,), Zak Henry, Karl Dent (Michael Frieter, 77), Michael Power (Freddie Parker, 81), Aaron Rhule (Ken Charles, 72), Kyron Lightfoot:  Subs:  Matt Hall, Tiwa Fujamade

Att: 169