Bromley fell to a disappointing defeat against ten men Halifax despite playing for 45 minutes against numerically disadvantaged opponents, writes Machel St Patrick Hewitt.

Fresh off two consecutive wins against Torquay United and Solihull Moors Neil Smith named an unchanged side for the trip to Halifax.

However, from first whistle to last Bromley were distinctly second best across the ninety minutes as they struggled to get their game going in the final third.

Halifax created the first opportunity of the game inside the opening three minutes of the game, Matty Brown volleying Connor Oliver’s corner just wide.

With Bromley struggling to get out of their own half their only opportunity of note came with their first genuine attack of the game. Josh Rees fed Adam Mekki’s but the winger’s strike from distance was turned around the post by Sam Johnson in the Halifax goal.

Halifax controlled the lion's share of possession in the first half and would have taken the lead but for the acrobatics of Bromley custodian David Gregory.

In the 26th minute Adam Morgan’s instinctive flick from Tom Denton’s knock on was expertly tipped away after last ditch adjustments by Gregory.

Racking up eight corners in the first half, from one of them, Halifax felt they had taken the lead when Brown’s volley was stopped on the goal line by a point blank reaction from Gregory. Despite vociferous protestations from Halifax players referee Joseph Johnson remained unmoved.

Gregory had time to make one more save before half time, denying Denton’s header from Matty Kosylo’s free kick.

The key turning point in the contest came three minutes before the interval. Referee Johnson adjudged that Scott Garnar had elbowed Brett Williams in an aerial challenge and had no hesitation in dismissing the centre-back.

Having barely been in the game in the opening 45 minutes the sending off should have been a gift to a Bromley side who had posed no real attacking threat, however if anything the second half only witnessed a more even game. At no point in the second half did it appear that Bromley had a man advantage.

Halifax took the lead ten minutes after the restart, the ever dangerous, Matty Kosylo’s left wing run and subsequent cross cum-shot squirmed under the body of Gregory from the tightest of angles.

Gregory was undoubtedly at fault for the goal and his reaction afterwards said as much. The shot was in no danger of going in but Gregory conspired to let the ball roll under his body in attempting to save the effort.

The home side nearly doubled their lead four minutes later, Denton flashing a header inches wide from Josh Macdonald’s free kick.

The introduction of substitute George Porter added some impetus to Bromley’s insipid display and it was his endeavour that led to the equaliser.

Porter did well to harry Halifax right-back Cliff Moyo into an error which allowed Porter to run unchallenged into the penalty area before finishing calmly past Johnson.

Rather than prompt Bromley into a period of dominance it was Halifax who continued to create the better chances. Twice Matty Kosylo forced Gregory into saves before another unchallenged left wing run led to the tricky winger standing up a cross for Denton to head in and regain the lead for Halifax.

Largely speaking the Shaymen were untroubled over the remaining 20 minutes of the match with Bromley only threatening to equalise in injury time.

Firstly Rees volleyed over a Frankie Sutherland corner before Porter latched on to a long ball only for his shot to be blocked by the feet of Johnson.

Neil Smith cut a disappointed figure at full time, bemoaning his side’s inability to be patient after the equaliser instead going gung ho looking for a second goal.

This he felt was the main contributing factor to the space that Kosylo was afforded for the winning goal.

Troubled Tranmere Rovers are up next for Bromley as they visit Hayes Lane next Saturday with both sides eager to get back to winning ways.

FC Halifax: Johnson, Moyo (Lynch 72), Wilde, Brown©, Garner, Kosylo (Tomlinson 85), Hotte, Denton, Oliver, Macdonald, Morgan (McManus 44) Subs not used: Nicholson, Charles

Bromley: Gregory, Wynter, Holland, Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio (Allen 76), Sutherland, Rees, Raymond (Porter 55), Mekki (Dennis 70), Williams Subs not used: Higgs, Dunne Goals: AFC Fylde: Gregory (og) 55, Denton 70 Bromley: Porter 61

Attendance: 1,760 (Bromley 77) Referee: Mr Joseph Johnson