Coming into the game, Eastbourne Borough had identical records right down to goals scored and conceded.

Ninety minutes later, nothing had changed as the spoils were shared..

Gary Charman had the first opportunity but his header from a deep free kick was claimed with comfort by Dillon Barnes.

At the other end Christian Nanetti found Bradley Goldberg but his chip towards the far post was headed out by Charman. Joe Healy collected the half clearance and picked out Goldberg but his effort was saved easily by Bailey Vose.

Charlie Harris tried his luck from long range but did not trouble Barnes as the two teams continued to test each other out.

Some close passing tested Welling but their back line held firm and Harris was forced to shoot from distance again but Barnes claimed comfortably under his crossbar.

Yemi Odubade then got in behind but was crowded out and shot wide. Curiously, the referee awarded a corner but it mattered not as it came to nothing.

Once again, Harris tried his luck from outside the area and this time a deflection meant that Barnes had to make a save diving to his right.

Pressure continued on the Welling defence and Ryan Worrall sent Nathaniel Pinney away but he toe poked wide as Barnes rushed out.

That miss seemed to deflate the Sports and Welling had a spell on top.

Ian Gayle hit an ambitious long distance effort over then Tom Bradbrook headed wide from Christie Pattisson's deep cross.

Nanetti then collected a half cleared corner and fired in a powerful cross shot that Charman headed away with Vose struggling to ensure the teams went into the break on level terms.

Early in the second period, Charman's poor header back gave Bradbrook a chance but his fierce drive went the wrong side of the post.

His radar was still out when he headed wide soon after.

Worrall had an opportunity for Eastbourne but Barnes was out quickly to block but it was Welling who were asking most of the questions at this stage.

Goldberg burst through and was halted by a crude challenge from Charman that earned him a caution and saw him substituted moments later then the Welling striker had an effort deflected wide for a corner. He took the delivery himself, but Jack Parkinson was unable to guide his header inside the far post.

Then the momentum swung back in favour of the hosts and Barnes was called upon to make a good diving save from Odubade.

He was beaten all ends up from the Sports' next attack and was relieved to see Pinney's header from Sergio Torres' cross come back off the bar.

Odubade tried his luck from out wide but his shot skimmed the roof of the net

An almighty goal mouth scramble almost presented him with another opportunity but Barnes was out bravely to make the save.

Connor Dymond shot wide for Welling before the Wings missed a golden opportunity to claim all three points. Nanetti slung in a cross and Bradbrook lost his marker but could only steer his header beyond the far post.

One last chance came to Harris but Barnes held his shot well leaving the two teams still inseparable in the league table.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle, Jefford, Dymond, Coyle, Parkinson, Pattisson (Durojaiye 71), Healy, Bradbrook, Goldberg, Nanetti. Subs not used: Francis, Johnson. Joseph-Dubois, Milton.