At the third attempt, Welling United got their season started but still had to settle for a point in an entertaining game.

Pierre Joseph-Dubois came in for Christian Nanetti in Welling's only change from their 1-0 defeat against Chelmsford City.

It took just nine minutes for the floodgates to open when Ben Swallow sent Jimmy Muitt away and the Rocks' loan striker finished in style.

However, within two minutes Welling levelled when Jamie Coyle headed his third goal of the season. Connor Dymond provided the delivery from a corner.

Then after a further two minutes the Wings went ahead. Joseph-Dubois found Bradley Goldberg and he fired his first Welling goal into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Dymond fired over before Doug Tuck made a goal line clearance from an Ian Gayle header which set up a counter attack that was foiled when Goldberg tracked back to make a crucial last ditch tackle.

Tom Bradbrook headed over before Bognor levelled. Tuck broke down the left wing before his low driven cross was turned into his own net by Welling goalkeeper Dillon Barnes.

Joseph-Dubois muscled his way through and brought an excellent save out of Dean Lincoln. Then Bradbrook headed down for Joe Healy to spin and shoot but Lincoln was able to save.

Barnes saved from Tuck before an eventful first period came to a close.

Immediately after the break, Healy fired wide with the outside of his boot before Barnes had to keep out Ollie Pearce's shot.

When a corner was only half cleared, Coyle was able to chip it back in but Gayle headed over.

Gayle then found Healy who chested down to Goldberg but the Welling striker fired over when he should probably have worked the goalkeeper.

Shots kept raining in on the Bognor goal and they were relieved when Dymond's shot was deflected but looped just the wrong side of the post.

Twice more Goldberg tried his arm. First he had a shot saved at the cost of a corner and then sending a curler wide.

Substitute Olumide Durojaiye put in a cross that Bradbrook headed back but Healy volleyed over when well placed.

Lincoln made another save from Goldberg who had been sent clear by the pass of the afternoon by Dymond.

Against the run of play, the visitors went back ahead on 72 minutes when Pearce finished easily from Muitt's cross.

Once again, Welling made an immediate response when Healy fired home an early contender for goal of the season from 25 yards.

Looking to regain the lead, Welling were thwarted by a Pearce goal line clearance then Goldberg fired wide from the edge of the area.

Although frustrated at not being able to win the game they were indebted to Barnes for at least claiming their first point when saving at full length from Harvey Whyte who had skipped his way across the edge of the area.

Now that they have their first point, Welling will have an early chance to build on it when visiting Eastbourne Borough on Tuesday evening.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle, Jefford, Parkinson (Nanetti 67), Coyle, Francis, Dymond, Healy, Bradbrook, Goldberg, Joseph-Dubois (Durojaiye 59). Subs not used: Pavey, Pattisson.