A Sidcup footballer who died aged 20 first showed her talents on holiday when she was just 12, a family friend has said.
Katie Sheppard played for Charlton Athletic Women’s reserves and was about to start pre-season training with West Ham United Ladies’ first team.
Following a post-mortem an inquest was opened and adjourned on Thursday (July 10).
Aged 10 Katie was one of Rik and Emma Taylor’s bridesmaids when the couple got married at Sidcup Registry Office in April 2004.
HR manager Rik, 36, told News Shopper: "Her family and ours went on holiday to Truro in Cornwall when Katie was 12.
"We had quite a large garden with a football net set up and I have the fondest memories of getting beaten by her every night.
Tributes to Katie Sheppard left outside Upton Park. A Facebook group remembering her has more than 700 likes.
"When that happened we knew there was something special about her football."
The father-of-two, who lives in Hawley Road, Wilmington, added: "She was very kind and caring.
"It was a shock when her mum Gill told me. With somebody so young you don’t expect them to pass away under any circumstances.
"I’m just one of many people who knew her and will miss her."
West Ham season ticket holder Danny Bishop, 50, sat next to fellow Hammers fan Katie during every home game at Upton Park.
The second-hand car dealer said: "I’m absolutely devastated about it because she was such a lovely girl.
"We used to jump up and have a cuddle when they scored.
"She was just a smashing kid."
- Dartford construction firm fined £800,000 after man accidentally crushed brother to death at Heathrow Airport
- Trains could stop calling at several central stations from south-east London and north Kent
- Mother of Dartford-born Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood says she is 'shocked, saddened, and numbed'
- Rapist gets more jail time after another victim sees his image in News Shopper
- WATCH: Bungling 'robbers' botch getaway on moped after trying to steal cigarettes from Eltham shop