Play-off semi-finalists Bromley ended the regular season with a fine victory on their first ever visit to Gosport Borough on Saturday.

On a showery afternoon with a strong wind behind their backs, the Hayes Lane side got off to the perfect start when Pierre Joseph-Dubois put the visitors ahead after just three minutes.

Bradley Goldberg took full advantage of a defender’s mistake before laying a pass into the path of Joseph-Dubois, whose first-time low shot from the edge of the penalty area gave home keeper Nathan Ashmore no chance.

Gosport responded and Joe Anderson cut out a dangerous looking cross from Dan Woodward two minutes later.

But it was Bromley who were seeing more of the action in the early exchanges so it was no surprise when they doubled their tally on 17 minutes.

Jay May was been badly tackled from behind by Jamie Brown and Anderson placed the resulting free-kick over the wall and into the top corner of the net.

It might have been three minutes later as Goldberg’s penetrating cross ricocheted off May and Ashmore did brilliantly to tip the ball around the post, with May heading narrowly over from the corner.

Danny Waldren did well to prevent Jason Prior having a shot at goal as he cut out Rory Williams’ cross at the expense of a corner before Goldberg shot over from a good position at the other end a few moments later.

The opening half closed with Justin Bennett being denied by Bromley keeper Joe Welch and Woodward firing wildly over the bar.

With the wind now behind them, the home side reduced the arrears within a minute of the restart.

A fierce swerving cross from the right was parried by Welch and Sam Pearce was first to react to crash home the loose ball from close range.

Gosport enjoyed the majority of the play for the next 20 minutes without threatening the Bromley goal, most of their attempts being either long range or off target.

Goldberg and May combined well to set up Anderson, whose shot was blocked by a desperate defender.

Goldberg’s rushed shot on the turn was wide before a good pass by substitute Elliott Buchanan picked out Louis Dennis, who lobbed the keeper only to see his effort land just the wrong side of the bar.

Another Anderson free kick from a similar position to his first half goal skimmed the woodwork, while a three-man passing movement at the other end concluded with Welch saving low down from Lee Molyneaux.

Ashmore denied Waldren by tipping the midfielder’ curling effort around the post and in the final minute the home keeper moved smartly to save Dennis’ sweetly struck volley.

Bromley now meet Ebbsfleet United at Stonebridge Road on Wednesday evening in the first leg play-off semi-final, with the second game set to take place at Hayes Lane on Saturday (3pm).

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Bromley: Welch, Parmenter (Buchanan 69), Anderson, Nicholls, Swaine, Holland, Joseph-Dubois, Waldren, May, Goldberg (Reid 76), Kiernan (Dennis 68). Subs not used: Jarrett, Fuseini. Att: 577.