A late Ricky Holmes goal was enough to see off AFC Wimbledon as Charlton Athletic stretched their unbeaten run to seven games.

It follows on from the win away to Bradford City and keeps their promotion hopes alive as they remain inside the playoff places.

The first 30 minutes were uneventful as neither side risked pushing too many attackers forward.

Charlton forced the issue more than the opposition, as they had three attempts on goal to Wimbledon’s one, but rarely did enough to challenge goalkeeper George Long.

Some of the most encouraging play of the half was let down by inaccurate passing in the final third, which most notably came from winger Ricky Holmes and midfielder Billy Clarke.

However, Tariqe Fosu remained the biggest bright spot as he rasped in a dangerous cross from the right side on 41 minutes, only for it to beat everyone including Josh Magennis.

In the second, Wimbledon had a fast start as they won a free-kick on the edge of the 18-yard box which led to three corners and set Charlton on the back foot.

The opposition were as good as the hosts and forced the Addicks into panic situations by pressing the defence into playing it all the way back to Ben Amos.

Deji Oshilaja had the biggest opportunity for the Dons to score after Nadjim Abdou played the ball back into the box, but he blasted the ball over the crossbar in the visitors’ best chance of the game.

When Wimbledon did get their chances, they were just as unfortunate as Charlton, as Ezri Konsa made a vital block as a follow-up shot by Tom Soares was denied.

Chances erred more towards Charlton as the game grew and the Addicks asked more questions of Neal Ardley’s men leading up to the final 20 minutes.

It was when Jay Dasilva whipped in a dangerous cross that found Tariqe Fosu, only to be blocked in the penalty area, which signalled Karl Robinson’s men to have turned the game in their favour.

Ricky Holmes was fouled on the very edge of the 18-yard box on 78 minutes, prompting Charlton fans to become incensed when the referee ruled it to be a free-kick.

Holmes took the set-piece and looped it over Long for the first – and last – goal of the game and earning a narrow 1-0 lead.

Wimnledon pressed to get the equaliser but were unable to find it, looking dejected as the final whistle blew.