Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Charlton striker stays positive despite Palace loss
CHARLTON striker Ricardo Fuller remained positive despite his side losing 1-0 at home to bitter rivals Crystal Palace on Friday.
The 32-year-old came off the bench in the second half to make his second appearance for the Addicks since his arrival at The Valley last month.
Fuller had good chances to rescue a point but was denied by the crossbar and a couple of off target efforts as Charlton were beaten in the league at home by the Eagles for the first time since 1968.
But even though the outcome could have been different had Fuller scored, the Jamaican international denied it had been a frustrating night.
“Not really,” he said.
“It’s football, that’s the way it goes sometimes.
“Sometimes anything you touch turns to gold and other times no matter what you do you don’t score.
“It was one of those nights. In the second half the team did a lot better and that’s a good sign.
“I’ve got the ammunition I need to get me goals and to get balls in the box in the box where I can finish from.
“Obviously I can do my individual stuff. I’ve got nothing to worry about.”
Fuller was adamant Charlton deserved at least a share of the spoils based on their second half performance.
“For sure,” he said.
“I think they only had one shot on target which managed to end up in the back of our net.
“In the second half we had countless chances.
“I had a couple, one went by the side and one the keeper managed to get back in and tip it over the bar.”
Fuller added: “I had a header when I just came on just a little bit too much in front of me.
“We had a much better second half and I’m sure you know that as well. In the second half if we had managed to get one goal I think we would have gone on to nick the game.”
And the former Stoke forward is pleased with how his bid to get fully fit is going after missing out on pre-season training.
He explained: “It’s my second game.
“I had nine minutes at Nottingham Forest and about 30 minutes against Palace.
“It is a matter of building up my minutes before I can start a game.
“I don’t want to go stupid and rush in when I’m not 100 percent fit and get myself injured, that’s the worst thing I would want.
“It is about building up my fitness and hopefully everything will be fine in the next couple of games.
“We go to Derby on Tuesday and I’m looking forward to that as well as getting as much minutes as I can.
“Soon before you know it I will be up and running.”
Fuller had a trial with the Addicks at the start of his professional career but suffered an injury and wasn’t offered a deal.
He said: “I was here before, it was like being back where it all started because I was here 12 or 13 years ago.
“Chris was a player here, Alan Curbishley was the manager, Keith Peacock was still involved as one of the coaches so as I said it was back to where it all started.
“I’m just happy to be here and hopefully get as fit as I can to really take this team and the club up this league.”
When asked if it was a case of unfinished business, Fuller replied: “You could look at it like that but for me nothing happens before the time.
“God rules the world and he knows why I never signed 12 or 13 years ago.
“Maybe it has made me stronger going on to achieve a lot of stuff elsewhere.
“Now I am here it is a new start and a new beginning and I’m looking forward to it. I accept the challenge.”
Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt