Charlton made it three successive league wins after beating 10-man Oldham 4-3 in an exciting encounter.

The Addicks took an early two-goal lead thanks to Ricky Holmes and Tarqie Fosu, however Oldham equalised through Craig Davies and Eoin Doyle.

The game’s turning point came when Latics midfielder Ousmane Fane was sent off in the early stages of the second-half.

And following the dismissal, the Addicks were ruthless against the League One strugglers with goals from Billy Clarke and debutant Joe Dodoo.

Kean Byrne gave Oldham some hope thanks to a late strike, but Charlton left with the three points.

Karl Robinson made two enforced changes to the team that beat Rotherham last weekend, bringing in Karlan Ahearne Grant and Johnnie Jackson for their first league starts since April. The pair replaced Josh Magennis and Jay Dasilva, who are away on international duty.

It was one-way traffic from Charlton in the half an hour, and they asserted their dominance on the contest with two goals.

It could have been more if Ahearne-Grant, who looked extremely lively, had buried his one-on-one chance early on.

Charlton took the lead thanks to a Holmes screamer from 40 yards in the 18th minute. The winger’s powerful strike sailed past Oldham goalkeeper Ben Wilson and into the top left-hand corner.

And the Addicks doubled their advantage just three minutes later after Jake Forster-Caskey’s deep cross found Fosu, who cut in on his right foot to score his first Charlton goal.

Despite controlling the game with a healthy lead intact, Holmes conceded a soft penalty to give Oldham a lifeline. Davies stepped up and pulled one back for the hosts in the 34th minute.

Charlton’s attacks dried up towards the end of the first-half and they just about dealt with the Latics’ pressure.

Charlton stopper Ben Amos had to be at his best to superbly tip Davies’ curling shot behind for a corner. And the resulting set-piece ended with Billy Clarke heading Fane’s close-range shot off the line just seconds before the break.

Oldham started the second-half how they ended the first and equalised in the 51st minute after a mix-up at the back from the Addicks. Jason Pearce and Bauer went for the same ball, and after failing to clear, it fell to Doyle who clinically slotted past Amos.

But the momentum swung back in Charlton’s favour when Fane was shown a second yellow card for a dangerous tackle on Chris Solly just three minutes after Oldham drew level.

The Addicks made their man advantage count when Clarke, like Fosu, netted his first goal in Charlton colours. Fosu’s pull-back found the Irishman, whose deft touch put the Londoners back in front.

And the contest was over when Dodoo came off the bench to score on his Charlton debut with 18 minuets remaining. The Rangers loanee latched on to a misplaced Dan Gardner header and cooly finished.

Byrne pulled one back in the 82nd minute with a lovely finessed effort, but Charlton held on.

Charlton XI: Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Jackson, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu, Clarke (Konsa, 79), Holmes, Ahearne-Grant (Dodoo, 50).

Subs not used: Phillips, Aribo, Sarr, Lapslie, Hackett-Fairchild.