Jake Jervis’ second-half brace inflicted a first defeat of the season on Charlton. 

The Addicks should have been three-nil up at the break, but wasted countless opportunities.

Charlton boss Karl Robinson made just one change to the starting eleven that beat Bristol Rovers last weekend, with the fit-again Josh Magennis replacing Lee Novak, who is still serving a three-game suspension.

In front of a packed out Home Park, the opening 10 minutes saw both sides register chances on goal.

Magennis headed wide from close-range, before Jervis was inches away from connecting with Joel Grant’s cross.

The Northern Ireland striker was involved again when his effort was saved by Plymouth goalkeeper Luke McCormick after a lightening quick counter attack from the Addicks.

Charlton dominated most of the ball throughout the game and came closest to breaking the deadlock in the 22nd minute. Billy Clarke’s shot was parried by McCormick, but the Pilgrims captain recovered excellently to push Magennis’ rebound on to the crossbar.

Plymouth went up the other end and Ben Amos had to be at his best to deny Nathan Blissett and Jervis in quick succession.

In an end-to-end first-half, Charlton threatened once more and would have been in front if Ryan Edwards had not headed Jake Forster-Caskey’s volley off the line.

Another chance fell Charlton’s way, and this time to Magennis, who directed his free header wide of McCormick’s goal.

Charlton could have been behind at the break, but Patrick Bauer was able to head clear after Amos failed to claim a cross.

Plymouth started the second-half on the front foot with Magennis getting back to block Fox’s goal-bound strike.

And the Pilgrims took the lead when Jervis flicked in Edwards’ header from a corner. And they kept pestering the Addicks’ goal with long-range efforts from Fox and Antoni Sarcevic.

Charlton had a penalty shout in the 69th minute when Tariqe Fosu went down in the box, but referee John Brooks was unmoved.

Plymouth nearly grabbed a second goal in style when Graham Carey’s 30-yard effort flew just wide of the post. 

Charlton failed to reclaim the dominance they had in the first-half and Plymouth comfortably held on, with Jervis netting his second goal in the 87th minute thanks to an Amos error. The goalkeeper, on loan from Bolton, did not get a strong enough hand to the striker’s shot.

Charlton XI: Amos, Solly, Pearce, Bauer, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu (Hackett-Fairchild, 81), Clarke (Ahearne-Grant, 63), Holmes, Magennis.

Subs not used: Phillips, Sarr, Jackson, Aribo.