Tyrone Marsh came off the bench to score the goal that completed the come from behind victory that ensured Welling United avoided relegation.

Following their 4-0 victory over Gosport Borough a week earlier, manager Alex Dyer selected an unchanged team for the game against Truro City that was important for both teams in their fight to avoid the drop.

Sometimes, games lack quality in the scramble for important points late in the season and the opening twenty minutes of this game was very uneventful.

Sluggish Welling allowed Truro, playing with three up front, plenty of possession but a strong Wings defence stopped them creating any shooting opportunities.

Twenty minutes had passed before either side registered an attempt when Chris Todd's shot flew well wide.

Dan Walker created Welling's first opportunity that Alex Cathline met at the near post with a shot that flew wide.

Walker's twisting and turning set up another opportunity but Cathline's first time effort was saved comfortably by Tom McHale.

After 32 minutes, Welling went ahead. Rhys Murrell-Williamson sent over a teasing free kick and Ben Martin buried his header inside the far post.

Sam Hatton then tried his luck with a long range dipping effort that cleared the bar then Walker burst through but saw his shot saved.

Just as it looked that Welling were going to go in ahead a defensive mix up caused Martin to turn Andrew Neal's cross past Chris Lewington and into his own net.

At the break, injury forced Martin to make way and to be replaced by Rickie Hayles.

Four minutes into the second half, Truro went ahead. Quick passing sent Dan Smith away and his low cross found Neal at the far post and the White Tigers' leading scorer finished in style.

Almost immediately Hatton came close to levelling when his shot was cleared off the line just out of the reach of Phil Walsh.

Murrell-Williamson had a free kick saved by McHale as the number of fouls conceded by Truro mounted through defending their lead at all costs.

Danny Waldren fired well over on the turn then Walker fired a shot off target as Welling searched for the equaliser.

Finally, Truro conceded one free kick too many and Murrell-Williamson curled his effort beyond McHale and inside the far post.

Two minutes later, Marsh put Welling ahead. His first touch from a long headed clearance was sublime to create the opportunity for him to fire beyond McHale and into the roof of the net.

Once more Walker's pace sent him clear but his shot went adrift before Smith was off target for Truro.

Cathline struck the post in injury time but Truro were unable to trouble Welling again.

Although Welling are only eight points clear of third from bottom Gosport Borough with three to play, they are seven clear of Whitehawk and five clear of Concord Rangers who all have to play each other. Therefore it's not possible for them all to overtake the Wings.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Hatton, Martin (Hayles 46), Walsh, Walker (Crawford 85), Waldren, Cathline, Joseph-Dubois (Marsh 62), Murrell-Williamson. Subs not used: Leacock, Richards.