Four unanswered second half goals went a long way towards Welling United's safety from relegation.

Victory over Gosport Borough took them eight points clear of the drop zone with four games to go and another win over the Easter weekend should be sufficient to guarantee them another season in the National League South Division.

New manager Alex Dyer will probably be wondering what all the fuss was about and will look forward to working with his new team in training this week.

Although the first period was relatively quiet, Welling enjoyed the better of it. Danny Waldren had a header saved from a Rhys Murrell-Williamson corner after Matt Fish's shot was deflected wide.

Alex Cathline then turned and fired in a shot that Nick Jordan had to save before Ben Wright let fly for Gosport. It lacked power, though, and Chris Lewington was able to pick it up even though it was going wide.

Phil Walsh then made an excellent header back under pressure from Tony Lee then Sam Hatton fired wide from distance after good work from Murrell-Williamson.

Ben Martin then had a header brilliantly turned over from Murrell-Williamson's free kick.

Waldren headed wide from yet another Murrell-Williamson delivery.

As the half due to a close, Gosport had their best spell of the match and neither Ed Sanders' flick or Wright's header had the power to bother Lewington.

Immediately after the break, Welling went ahead when Cathline's drive across the face of goal was tucked away by Pierre Joseph-Dubois.

Lewington made a fine save from Lee before Joseph-Dubois scored his and Welling's second from Dan Walker's cross after he had been sent away by Waldren.

Cathline's first Welling goal made it three as Welling threatened to overwhelm their visitors.

Walker hit the post before Welling made it four. Joseph-Dubois had a header beaten out by Jordan but Cathline was on hand to lift the rebound home.

Jordan saved from Waldren and Murrell-Williamson, following up, saw his shot deflected over.

Sam Hatton fired wide before Lewington made a good save from Lee.

He then made an even better one from Wright's free kick to preserve his clean sheet.

Lee limped off after a heavy challenge by Hatton that earned the Welling midfielder a yellow card and meant that Gosport finished with ten men having already made their three changes.

Another Cathline break saw him thwarted by the feet of Jordan and Borough's goalkeeper made one more save, this time from Walker, before the final whistle.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Hatton, Martin (Crawford 81), Walsh, Walker, Waldren, Cathline, Joseph-Dubois (Marsh 71), Murrell-Williamson (Richards 80). Subs not used: Fuseini, Leacock.