Despite scoring early on. Welling United fell to a heavy defeat at promotion chasing Ebbsfleet United.

Jack Powell started ahead of Dean Rance in Ebbsfleet's only change from their previous game whilst Welling again suffered the curse of the centre half with Ben Martin's injury against Charlton Athletic in midweek. Rickie Hayles was brought back in following his own injury, possibly one week earlier than was ideal.

Silence descended over the ground when Welling went ahead in the seventh minute. Ali Fuseini back heeled to Pierre Joseph-Dubois who held it up before feeding to Rhys Murrell-Williamson. He looked up before crossing it to the far post where a stooping Dan Walker headed back across goal and in off the far post.

Andy Drury had a long range shot saved by Chris Lewington before Welling had another great opportunity.

Walker again found himself in a good position but his shot was cleared off the line by Jack Connors.

Darren McQueen's pace caused Welling problems all afternoon and he got in behind the defence but Chris Lewington came out and made a great save with his right foot.

Another Walker attempt was off target when seeing Nathan Ashmore off his line he tried his luck with a free kick from near the halfway line.

Then McQueen also tried his luck again but Lewington was equal to his shot from just outside the penalty area.

After 29 minutes, the hosts levelled when Danny Kedwell was given space wide in the penalty area and he pulled back for Jack Powell to fire home.

Joseph-Dubois then brought a diving save out of Ashmore but the shot did not have sufficient power to worry the Ebbsfleet goalkeeper too much.

Lewington made another save from McQueen before the hosts had a massive shout for a penalty for handball against Rhys Murrell-Williamson.

That was not awarded but it mattered little as a corner was and Kenny Clark was given all the time and space he needed to volley home.

Three minutes later, another appeal for a handball against Rickie Hayles was upheld and Kedwell's penalty had too much power for Lewington who went the right way.

Alex Cathline and Hayles were both withdrawn at half time and replaced by Sam Hatton and Tom Richards. However the damage was done and Welling appeared to be looking at damage limitation.

Again McQueen caused problems when having a shot deflected and Powell caught Welling napping from a short corner and cut across before firing over.

Richards broke away for Welling but fired just beyond the far post

Murrell-Williamson came even closer with a shot that was touched onto the post by Ashmore before Walker fired high over.

Ali Fuseini spun and shot wide from outside the penalty area before Welling were reduced to ten men.

Once again, McQueen's pace proved too much for Welling and Danny Waldren pulled him back as he looked to get away. Although 30 yards from the goal, the referee decided it was denying a goal scoring chance and sent Waldren off.

Powell smashed a free kick into the wall and Mark Phillips headed wide as the Fleet looked to turn the screw and McQueen finally netted when finishing from Powell's Marvin McCoy's cross.

Tyrone Marsh came on for his second Welling United debut but had little chance of making an impression.

Kedwell made it five with fifteen minutes to go when Lewington made an uncharacteristic mess of a cross under pressure from Andy Drury.

That was the end of the scoring although Fuseini fired a shot wide for Welling and Sam Deering fired well over for Ebbsfleet.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Fuseini, Hayles (Richards 46), Walsh, Walker, Waldren, Cathline (Hatton 46), Joseph-Dubois (Marsh 71), Murrell-Williamson. Subs not used: Amu, Johnson.