Improved defending was key to Welling claiming a point at home to Hungerford Town.

Two new centre halves were introduced to replace the injured three on the Welling books. Ben Martin started his second spell at the club and Phil Walsh came in alongside him while matt Fish returned after missing two games through injury.

Little happened early on until Walsh was unable to direct a long Matt Fish free kick towards goal.

Warren Bentley got clear down the left from Mike Jones' long through ball but shot across the face of goal.

Luke Williams then found himself in a similar position but his effort was hacked off the line at the far post by Danny Waldren at the far post.

Alex Cathline tried his luck for Welling but his shot was weak and wide before Rhys Murrell-Williamson volleyed over after out muscling Rhys Tyler.

Fish sent over a dangerous cross that Cathline headed wide.

Chris Lewington was then called into action when blocking out James Clark's shot after good work from Warren Bentley.

Williams then crossed to the far post where Nat Jarvis was waiting but Jordan Brown got across and beat him in the air to head clear.

Just before the break Ali Fuseini tried an ambitious effort but it went well wide.

Immediately after the interval, Cathline hoisted a ball goal-bound that Lewis Ward caught under the bar.

Bentley then had a close range effort from a tight angle that Lewington blocked away for a corner.

Matt Day then pulled a brilliant save out of Lewington with a well struck free kick.

Harry Crawford then shot wide at the other end as Welling took control.

They then missed a great chance. Murrell-Williamson's corner was headed to Walsh by Martin. Walsh's low cross caused chaos before finding Murrell-Williamson but his second cross was headed wide by substitute Pierre Joseph-Dubois.

Walsh then had a header cleared off the line before Welling did get the ball into the net.

Dan Walker had a shot saved and Joseph-Dubois knocked home the rebound but his joy was short lived when he saw that he had been flagged offside.

Jon Boardman headed wide from a free kick and Williams hit a shot that missed the angle by some distance but Welling missed a great opportunity in the closing minutes.

Walker found Joseph-Dubois unmarked in the penalty area but he headed wide when well placed.

There was still time for Sam Hatton to fire wide before the end.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Fuseini, Martin, Walsh, Walker, Waldren, Cathline (Joseph-Dubois 55), Crawford (Hatton 74), Murrell-Williamson. Subs not used: Slabber, Agu, Richards.