Patience was a virtue for Welling United as a complete performance saw them see off mid table East Thurrock United.

Victory over the Rocks took Welling up to 15th in the table with a seven point buffer between them and the relegation zone.

Chris Lewington was involved early on coming out sharply to save from East Thurrock's Tom Wraight before Adam Coombes headed over for Welling from Sam Hatton's corner.

Sam Higgins was then given too much space on the edge of the area but Lewington saved well, which turned out to be the only save he had to make all afternoon.

Christian Nanetti, lively throughout, was brought down outside the East Thurrock eighteen yard box but Coombes' free kick flew just wide with Lucas Lidakevicius floundering.

Dan Walker, in for the injured Pierre Joseph-Dubois, had a shot that was tipped over before Welling almost scored from the resulting corner. After some penalty area pinball, Coombes let fly with a shot that came back off the underside of the crossbar.

Harry Crawford then tried his luck with a shot on the turn that went wide before he sent Coombes away with a cutting through ball. Coombes went round Lidakevicius but Lee Burns got back to clear off the line.

On a rare East Thurrock raid Higgins found himself free at the far post but was unable to find the target.

Nanetti crossed for Crawford to head towards goal but Lidakevicius saved comfortably.

There was one last chance for Welling before the break when Nanetti laid back to Matt Fish but his cross was headed over by Crawford.

After the break, the Rocks had the first chance when Marvin Ekpiteta headed wide from George Craddock's free kick but Welling were soon causing the visitors problems again.

Sean Francis slung over an angled cross that Coombes headed over.

Coombes then turned provider with a cross to the far post but Nanetti's fierce drive flew over.

Scott Heard went on a good run for East Thurrock and pulled back to Higgins, but he made a hash of his effort and failed to bother Lewington.

Crawford again headed over from Sam Hatton's free kick before Welling broke the deadlock. Walker got in behind the back four and crossed low to Coombes at the near post. Although Lidakevicius did well to keep out his initial effort it came back out to him and he buried his second attempt.

Once more, Crawford created havoc on a long solo run but his shot came back out off the legs of Lidakevicius.

Danny Waldren then headed over from Walker's cross as Welling searched for a second.

Higgins fired high and wide for the Rocks before Crawford shot over for Welling.

Kye Ruel almost nicked an undeserved equaliser when his shot was blocked by a Welling defender before the Wings made the points safe.

Three minutes remained when Ludakevicius was rounded both ways. Coombes went round his left side but was eased out too wide to shoot so he pulled it back to Walker who went round him the other way before firing home through the legs of Burns,

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Hatton, Hayles, Francis, Walker, Waldren, Crawford, Coombes (Williams 90), Nanetti (Slabber 90). Subs not used: Johnson, Leacock, Fuseini.