First half goals for both Welling United and Forest Green Rovers ensured the teams extended their respective unbeaten records.

Visitors Forest Green came into the game yet to taste defeat in third place whilst the Wings had not lost at Park View Road this season.

Late replacement Jon Nouble fired over early on for Welling as they came out well then, following a foul by Sam Wedgbury that earned him a booking, Wings player manager Jamie Day put in a delivery that Kieron St. Aimie could only touch wide of the near post.

Jon Parkin had a header saved by Jamie Turner, deputising for Lee Butcher who was suffering with a touch of tendonitis.

Turner was again in action blocking from England C international James Norwood, but Green’s goalkeeper Sam Russell was soon in action at the other end when diving to save Chris Bush’s header from another Day free kick.

Ben Jefford turned defence into attack when winning a tackle before bursting down the wing, collecting a pass and sending over a cross that the visitors were grateful to turn away for a corner.

Although half cleared, Malachi Hudson collected out wide, showed clever footwork to go past David Pipe and pulled back a dangerous ball that Norwood could only slice into the roof of his own net as Zach Fagan closed in.

Yellow cards were shown to Day and Jake Gallagher before Forest Green equalised just before half time with Norwood atoned for his error, heading home from Lee Hughes’ cross.

There was still time for Hudson to dispossess Pipe and made room for a fierce shot that left Russell helpless. Unfortunately for him, and the Wings, it flew just over the bar.

Welling had a big shout for a penalty immediately after the break when Gallagher appeared to have been clipped by Danny Coles after Nouble and Harry Beautyman had combined well, but referee Stephen Ross showed no interest. Gallagher was up again quickly, but his shot was blocked sway.

Norwood continued to cause problem for Welling and had a shot well saved by Turner at the foot of the post before another effort was blocked by Fagan,

Clovis Kamdjo headed over then Wedgbury launched well over after Turner had done well to punch out.

Sam Corne replaced Nouble to bolster midfield and the Wings came back strongly.

Full backs continued to get forward for Welling and another Jefford cross was well headed out by Chris Stokes before a Loui Fazakerley drive was blocked away by Luke Oliver.

Oliver made another vital block from a St Aimie header as he met another inviting Day delivery, then the Welling manager fired over after good work by substitute Tyrone Marsh.

Turner made an outstanding save at the foot of the near post when a Green corner was diverted inadvertently towards his own goal by a Welling defender before Russell was called into action saving from Jefford’s deflected cross.

Former Wing, Kurtis Guthrie, was introduced for stoppage time, but Day had the last attempt when shooting wide after good work from St. Aimie.

Welling United: Turner, Fazakerley, Jefford, Day, Fagan, Bush, Beautyman, Gallagher, St. Aimie, Nouble (Corne 73), Hudson (Marsh 63). Unused substitutes: Butcher, Gorman, Williams.