Seven players made their Welling United league debuts against newly promoted AFC Telford United.

Mike Phenix put in an early teasing cross that was too good for Sean Clancy to finish as the visitors started strongly.

Ben Jefford's caution for a foul on Phenix appeared harsh but set the standard for the day. Andrew Owens' resulting free kick was met by a firm header by Neil Byrne but he failed to hit the target.

After Welling had clawed their way back into the game, they almost got caught out from a corner of their own when Phenix broke away but shot wide of the far post.

Rod Young fired well wide for the Wings before Phenix was booked for palming a deep cross into the net.

Chaos in the Telford penalty area followed from a long Rod Young throw but Jake Gallagher was unable to finish when at full reach.

Adam Farrell had a shot blocked by Chris Bush before the visitors went ahead in controversial circumstances. Godfrey Poku collapsed under a minimal challenge. Owens didn't need a second invitation and made the most of it by blasting straight through a wall that crumbled meekly.

Harry Beautyman then broke through, and good off the ball running saw the defence part in front of him, but Jonathan Hedge was down well to claim at full stretch as Jake Gallagher followed up.

Clancy was cautioned for dissent, and Poku for a clumsy challenge for the Bucks, then Chris Bush was booked for a foul for Welling.

Despite, having already found his way into referee Nigel Lugg's notebook, Poku, trying to claim another free kick, handled to stop a Welling move just before the break and could have no complaint for receiving a second yellow card to finish his participation for the day.

Phenix followed early in the second period for a reckless foul reducing his side to nine, and Tyrone Marsh almost made the visitors pay, having combined well with Loui Fazackerley, but could not muster the power to beat Hedge.

Joe Healy replaced Charlie Gorman to increase Welling's attacking options and Young came close when he hit a shot through a crowd of players before seeing it rebound off the legs of Hedge who knew little about it.

Fazakerley and Jefford both had efforts before Welling equalised in the 65th minute through a Beautyman curler from the corner of the penalty area.

Afolabi Obafemi flicked a Young cross just wide before being pushed over when through in the penalty area. Incredibly, rather than awarding a spot kick, the referee chose to caution the Welling striker.

After another harsh booking, this time for Fazakerley, Sam Smith ensured Butcher was still alert with a well struck shot.

Gallagher, under heavy pressure, headed wide from a Jefford centre, and the full back, who had become a virtual extra winger, put in another cross that Beautyman nodded beyond the far post in the first of the six additional minutes.

There was still time for Obafemi to head a Barney Williams cross wide and for Jamal Fyfield to head a late corner just over the bar as Welling had to settle for a draw.

Welling United: Butcher, Fazakerley (Williams 85), Jefford, Gorman (Healy 57), Bush, Fyfield, Beautyman, Gallagher, Abofemi, Marsh, Young (Ouani 76). Unused substitutes: Turner, Day.