A former Bromley and Charlton goalkeeper, who was involved in a car crash three weeks ago, has woken from a coma.
George Howard, from Rainham, was left in a critical condition following the accident while on holiday in South Africa on May 23.
The 20-year-old spent a season at Bromley after being released by Charlton in 2012, helping the team to London Cup victory over Kingstonian in May last year.
His friend Martin Di Fede has set up an online fundraising page to help George's family stay with him in South Africa, raising £13,660 so far.
On the page, Mr Di Fede said: "I've received the call we've all been waiting for. George has woken up!!
"To be expected he's a little groggy but is making good progress.
"I'm unsure of his condition and state but know he is making good progress."
To make a donation at George's Go Fund Me page, click here.
- Bluewater expansion plans will make it bigger than Westfield
- UPDATE: Three arrests after shooting in Dartford
- Massive pile of rubbish, derelict boats and gas cylinders on fire in Erith
- Greenwich drug dealer found with 72 wraps of crack cocaine jailed
- This real-life Dr Dolittle wants to help more animals desperately in need - but he needs your help first