Charlton’s survival hopes were dealt a severe blow as they lost a vital game against fellow strugglers Barnsley.

News Shopper: Johnnie Jackson attempts to get on the end of a cross

The Addicks began the better of the two teams but were rocked by Jean-Yves M’voto’s 32nd minute header against the run of play.

Tom Kennedy’s deflected cross made it two in the 63rd minute – again during a period of Charlton dominance – to deepen the Addicks’ worries.

News Shopper: Tempers flare between Jordan Cousins and Stephen Dawson

Astrit Ajdarevic scored in stoppage time to ensure a tense finish but Barnsley saw out the game leaving the Addicks just one point above the relegation zone with five games to play.

It was billed as a must win game for both teams before kick-off with Charlton knowing a win could see them jump three places in the table.

A frantic start saw both teams attacking with pace but little quality in the final third meant neither were creating opportunities.

News Shopper: Chris Solly slides in on Stephen Dawson

Charlton enjoyed much of the possession but some poor final balls, particularly from Callum Harriott, meant they failed to transform it into attacking threat.

And when the Addicks finally found a decent delivery when Marvin Sordell crossed to the back post after beating his man, Harriott couldn’t find the target.

The Addicks were failing to take their chances as Johnnie Jackson also miss-fired and were soon made to pay as M’voto headed in Dale Jennings’ corner.

Charlton continued to dominate possession after conceding but still failed to test Barnsley keeper Luke Steele.

Diego Poyet, having another impressive game, began the second half well as he hit a decent 22-yard effort but it rose just over the bar just after the game resumed.

Similar to the opening period Charlton were putting the Barnsley defence under a decent amount of pressure yet Steele remained untested.

News Shopper: Barnsley's Jean-Yves M'Voto celebrates opening the scoring

Sordell failed to take advantage of Stephen Dawson’s miss-placed pass in the 58th minute as he fired high and wide from inside the box.

And Barnsley were at it again five minutes later as Kennedy’s deflected cross wrong-footed Ben Hamer to find the back of the net against the run of play.

Steele was finally tested in the 77th minute when Reza Ghoochannejhad latched onto a through ball before volleying well but the effort was easily pushed out for a corner.

News Shopper: Diego Poyet is challenged by Dale Jennings

And things went from bad to worse for the home side late on as Rhoys Wiggins limped off after a collision with Dawson.

Having made all three substitutions already Charlton were forced to play the remainder of the game with ten men.

Ajdarevic poked a loose ball home in the 91st minute after Reza's initial effort was cleared off the line to ensure a nervy finish, but try as they might the Addicks couldn’t find a second.

Charlton: Hamer, Solly (Wilson 71), Wood, Dervite, Wiggins, Harriott (Reza 55), Poyet (Ajdarevic 78), Cousins, Jackson, Obika, Sordell Subs not used: Thuram-Ulien, Hughes, Morrison, Fox