Failure to finish proved costly as Welling United crashed to defeat against Nuneaton Town for the second time this season.

Lee Butcher and Loui Fazakerley returned in place of Jamie Turner and Connor McLaren for the Wings.

Joe Healy fired over for Welling then Adam Walker shot harmlessly wide from well out for Nuneaton as the two teams tested each other out in the early stages.
James Armson wrong footed the Welling defence before squaring to Andrew Brown who snatched his attempt over.

Toby Ajala showed tight skills to flick on into the penalty area but James Belshaw was out smartly to claim from Tobi Sho-Silva.

After Harry Beautyman's free kick had been nodded away for a corner, his delivery caused further problems when Healy's header in was half cleared to Alfie Mawson but his overhead effort sailed wide.

Jake Gallagher then sliced just over after his first effort was blocked before Beautyman failed to convert a great opening.

A free flowing Welling move gave Ajala the chance to cross and a dummy allowed the ball to fall to Beautyman, but he snatched his attempt wide.

Moments later, he did get a shot on target, but it was claimed comfortably by Belshaw.

Louis Moult's effort over from 35 yards was the best Nuneaton could manage as Welling dominated the first half.

Armson escaped a wild tackle on Gallagher as the new capped Wings midfielder rode the challenge  but Healy was not so fortunate for a similar challenge moments later, and was booked.

Ajala's cross just before the break beat the defence but Healy, at full stretch, was unable to divert his effort into an unguarded net. 

Intent was shown by Welling coming out for the second period a good three minutes before their hosts.

Another Ajala cross, after a corner was half cleared, beat the defence but Ross Lafayette was only able to divert his attempt into the grateful hands of Belshaw.

Possibly the best chance of all fell to Healy after Mawson's heder was beaten out to him by Theo Streete, but the Wings midfielder thrashed over.

Sho-Silva then had a shot blocked as Welling continued to enjoy the lion's share of the game.

Tom Bender's run was ended by a crude foul by Adam Walker who, along with Moult was substituted before play was restarted.

Beautyman's free kick was bundled wide for a corner but it was cleared quickly resulting in Welling

Wesley York went on a surging run but Ajala's tackle, that seemed clean, was adjudged to be a foul.

Arnson's delivery caused chaos, and Brown's header was flagged as over the line.

Despite the setback, Welling continued to play the better football and Sho-Silva had a shot blocked bravely and painfully by Gareth Dean.

Blaine Hudson had to make a couple of important challenges as Welling pushed forward in search of an equaliser.

Fazakerley then got a crucial headed touch on a York cross as Brown looked to finish.

Josh Wakefield had a shot saved before Nuneaton doubled their lead on another break.

Daniel Sleath broke was given space on the left wing to cross for David Hibbert to flick his header beyond the despairing Butcher.

All season, Welling manager Jamie Day has stated that Welling have to take their chances and in a game that the hosts had just two shots on target, and no corners, his views were illustrated clearly in this performance.

Welling United: Butcher, Fazakerley, Bender, Gallagher (Clarke 78), Mawson, Hudson, Beautyman (Wakefield 72), Ajala (Guthrie 70), Sho-Silva, Lafayette, Healy. Unused substitutes: McLaren, Turner.