Charlton would be insane to sell Kermo to Bournemouth

News Shopper: Yann Kermorgant's Valley days look numbered. PICTURE BY KEITH GILLARD. Yann Kermorgant's Valley days look numbered. PICTURE BY KEITH GILLARD.

ADDICKS columnist MATIAS GREZ reckons the club would be absolutely mad to let Yann Kermorgant join Championship rivals AFC Bournemouth.

WITH talks of an offer from Bournemouth having already been made for Yann Kermorgant and Rhoys Wiggins, and rumours Brighton are in for Dale Stephens as well as a humbling defeat last night, this week surely can’t get much worse for Charlton fans.

An offer believed to be in the region of £500k has been made for our talismanic Frenchman, an offer many, including myself, believe should have been scoffed at and rejected out of hand.

But look at it from Bournemouth’s point of view - £500k for a 32-year-old striker who is out of contract at the end of the season and who has no experience upwards of the Championship is perfectly reasonable.

However, this is not any 32-year-old out-of-contract striker with no Premier League experience - this is Yann Kermorgant, the most important and vital cog in our team over the last three seasons.

And with many individual fan reports emerging from the Keepmoat last night suggesting Yann’s post-match wave had a little more to it than in other weeks, our fears over his imminent departure only increase.

For me, the better option would be to reject the money now and risk losing him for nothing in the summer.

There is no player we could buy for £500k who would have as much of a positive impact and be as influential as Yann has been.

Kermorgant could be the difference between staying up and going down - and the cost of being relegated will be a lot higher than £500k.

We can only be left to speculate as to why players as important as Kermorgant, Stephens and Wiggins have not had their contract renewed before this transfer window.

But something, somewhere has gone very wrong.

Chris Powell’s post-match quotes did little to ease our fears.

“I’ve blooded in a few youngsters because of our squad depth but as I said to the players we have 20 games to go still.

“That’s a lot of games.

“It was the worst performance of the season so far from us in one of our most important fixtures.”

That is a shallow squad and the worst performance of the season with both Kermorgant and Stephens in the team, our two best players this season.

Just imagine how much more shallow the squad becomes and much worse our performances will get without them?

With rumours emerging from European journalists that Charlton have agreed to sign Iranian striker Reza Ghoochannejhad and French right-back Loïc Nego, they will at least add numbers to the squad, even if they don’t bring the Championship experience we need to stay in this division.

These are worrying times indeed.

Follow us on Twitter for live updates from Wigan v Charlton on Saturday

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:38pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Benno51 says...

Totally agree. I went to Donny last night and it was honestly one of the most pitiful performances I've ever seen from Charlton. If Kermo goes then we might as well call it a day and get preparing for that hell hole of a league below us. I've never been as disillusioned with it all as I am now. New owner same rubbish.
Totally agree. I went to Donny last night and it was honestly one of the most pitiful performances I've ever seen from Charlton. If Kermo goes then we might as well call it a day and get preparing for that hell hole of a league below us. I've never been as disillusioned with it all as I am now. New owner same rubbish. Benno51

8:19am Thu 30 Jan 14

PurpleMan says...

Poweel needs to have a new contract handed to him ASAP. He was worked miracles at Charlton and deserves it. we have something like 19 first team players out of contract in the summer. The new owner needs to pull his finger out and get on with it!!
Poweel needs to have a new contract handed to him ASAP. He was worked miracles at Charlton and deserves it. we have something like 19 first team players out of contract in the summer. The new owner needs to pull his finger out and get on with it!! PurpleMan

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree