Whitehawk 1-2 Bromley

News Shopper: Bradley Goldberg (above) scored both of Bromley's goals. PICTURE BY KEITH GILLARD. Bradley Goldberg (above) scored both of Bromley's goals. PICTURE BY KEITH GILLARD.

BROMLEY completed the double over Whitehawk on Saturday at a very wet East Brighton Park, when they came from behind to take all three points.

On a soggy pitch, it was the proverbial game of two halves, and had the home side showed more composure in front of goal, the game would surely have been over at half-time.

Whitehawk, fresh from their Boxing Day victory over fourth-placed Eastbourne Borough, created chance after chance in the first half before squandering a penalty six minutes into the second period.

This was the turning point in the game, as from there on in Bromley clicked into gear to dominate.

Danny Mills headed just over after six minutes after the Lillywhites had failed to clear their lines, and again nine minutes later his back header was just wide.

Bromley keeper Joe Welch was quick to react to deny David Da Silva when the winger fastened onto a through-ball.

Michael Richens skimmed the bar with a 20-yarder, Da Silva dwelled on the ball too long and was dispossessed before Richens’s low shot was saved by Welch.

Jake Reid might have done better with his shot after Joe Anderson played the newcomer through in what was Bromley’s only worthwhile effort of the first half.

Bromley conceded in a league fixture for the first time in 775 minutes when the unmarked Da Silva raced onto a through-ball from Richens on 33 minutes to hold off a defender before slipping his effort past the advancing Welch.

The hosts looked to increase their deserved advantage before half-time with Tommy Fraser, Mills, Alex Parsons and Da Silva all missing reasonable opportunities.

Whitehawk were award a 51st minute penalty which seemed unnecessary.

With the ball appearing to be going out of play, Welch raced from his goal to upend Da Silva on the byline, leaving the match official little option but to point to the spot.

However, the visiting keeper redeemed himself by brilliantly diving full length to his right to push Mills’ well-struck spot-kick around the post.

This was the turning point, as from the clearance Bromley went down the other end where Rob Swaine’s 20-yard lob was tipped over by a back-peddling Chris Winterton.

However, the Whitehawk keeper could do nothing to prevent Bromley’s equaliser on 58 minutes.

Dean Pooley’s throw in was crossed by Reid to Ryan Hall who saw his shot blocked, but the ball fell kindly to Bradley Goldberg and the striker pounced to slot home from eight yards.

Bromley almost went in front eight minutes later when Tom Cadmore sliced a clearance just over his own bar before Goldberg got his – and Bromley’s – second on 72 minutes.

A throw in on the left was touched on by Pierre Joseph-Dubois and Goldberg, from the edge of the area, let fly with a bullet like volley that gave Winterton no chance.

Substitute Ben Swallow saw his chipped cross bounce off the top of the bar, while Reid’s hopeful shot from distance did not trouble Winterton.

Whitehawk lost their cool in the closing stages with a number of crude tackles and in the fifth minute of time added on were reduced to 10-men when Sami El-Abd was sent off for two crunching lunges in the space of three minutes.

Bromley remain eight points clear at the top of the table at the halfway stage in the season.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Bromley: Welch, Pooley, Anderson, Waldren (Buchanan 75), Swaine (Parmenter 59), Holland, Joseph-Dubois, Nicholls, Reid, Goldberg, Hall (Swallow 59). Subs not used: Jarrett, McDonnell. Att: 290


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree