With the weather having affected games earlier this year, Anchorians agreed to switch this Kent Plate quarter final fixture to Gravesend’s Rectory Field ground for the game to be played under floodlights.
Following a disappointing result away at Guernsey at the week-end, Gs were keen to ensure that they should not slip up against their London South East 3 opponents in this mid-week encounter.
Starting the sharpest, it was on six minutes that Gary Gray finished off a move that involved the ball going through a number of hands before the fly-half touch-down.
Chris Meddings added the extra points from the tee for an early 7-0 advantage.
With the penalty count going against Gs, Anch’s pull three points back when Mark George slotted over from the second attempt at the posts for 7-3.
It seems to be a trait that has developed with Gs this season that they can’t get through a game without dropping or knocking-on the ball, to lose possession.
With thirty minute played the life came back into the game when Chris Meddings ran in for the second try of the evening as he eluded the defence. This time he was off target but 12-3 was a welcome score-line.
Skipper Ashley Moorey looked to have missed the opportunity to send Sawyer in, but he continued forward to the line, twisting out of the tackles for a well taken individual try.
Meddings put the conversion between the uprights for a 19-3 advantage at the break.
The penalty count of eight to nil against continued to rise in the second half, but Gs answered this with a further two tries coming from the strong running Marc Klus and Meddings, with the latter converting one of these for 31-3,
Anchorians’ never gave up and at the end of the third quarter Richard Collins won the ball at a five metre line-out before driving over for the score.
The conversion went astray for the score to remain at 31-8.
As their visitors tired in the last ten minutes, Klus and Ziggy Stevens ran in a further two tries with Gary Gray adding both conversions for a final tally of 45-8.