CHARLTON boss Chris Powell was left disappointed with the way his side started their match at Hull City.

Saturday’s 1-0 defeat was the Addicks’ third in their last four matches and high-flying Hull were deserved winners at the weekend.

The Tigers dominated the early exchanges with David Meyler twice going close before Egyptian striker Mohamed Gedo opened the scoring in the 33rd minute. Charlton improved after the interval with substitutes Bradley Wright-Phillips and Danny Haynes combining well to force the Addicks’ best effort of the game late on, but ultimately Powell was left to reflect on another defeat.

“We really didn’t start off in the way that we should have done,” admitted the Valley chief.

“Dale Stephens cleared one off the line.

“We certainly started to get into it after the break, but really we needed to do that over the course of the game.

“If you’re still in the game, then you can build on things and move things around and we certainly did that.

“It had an effect on the team, on the players and really you’re looking to come away from there with a point or three, but in the end we have ran out of time.”

Powell added: “You always look for your subs to make a bit of an impact and they certainly did that.

“Bradley Wright-Phillips and Danny Haynes combined well.

“It was a good save by David Stockdale and then Bradley Pritchard had a chance at the end of what was a really good move, which he just toed wide.

“Ricardo Fuller had a header which hit the support pole behind the goal and we definitely were in with a shout in the second period.

“Of course, a side like Hull, which have been doing very well, can always counter on you but we were certainly in the game.

“At 0-0 you have a better chance, but when you’re chasing it they can always counter you and Ben Hamer made a couple of saves.”

‘One of those days’ is a saying which if often thrown around in football and Saturday appeared to be one of those days for Charlton, as a number of refereeing decisions went against them.

In the opening period Ricardo Fuller was blatantly fouled just outside of the area but referee Scott Mathieson did not award a free-kick.

After the break Gedo crossed the ball into the box in frustration having ran the ball out of touch by one metre.

Michael Morrison headed the ball behind and Hull were awarded a corner.

The Charlton boss bemoaned: “All round I felt the day was going against us a little bit, there were a few decisions that should have gone our way.

“Ricardo definitely got fouled, it was blatant as ever, but what preceded the foul meant it wasn’t given.

“It was clear as anything.

“His shoulder popped out, he popped it back in and then obviously there was a bit of frustration on his part and he got booked.

“You just feel certain things like that are going against you.

“I think in one decision the ball had gone out by three foot in one of the incidents and they gave a corner.

“It was one of those days that happen from time to time, and certainly Saturday was one of those.

“You want them to make the correct decisions and, as I’ve said, it was just one of those days where things went against us, even when we were clearly in the right.

“They happen. They test your capabilities mentally, and you’ve got to see through that because that is how football is some days.

“It was a tough day because a road trip up here is never easy and we certainly had spells where we could have made a difference.

“We certainly have to or we’re going to be sucked into the lower reaches and it’s still tight, we know that.

“But it’s better to get the points on the board as soon as you can.”

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt