BROMLEY’S poor home form continued at Hayes Lane on Saturday with their worst performance of the season against lowly Basingstoke Town.

The hosts got off to the worst possible start when the visitors went ahead after just three minutes.

Shaun McAuley broke down the right before flicking the ball across goal, where Sanchez Ming failed to challenge and it ran through to Simon Dunn, who sent a low shot out of reach of an exposed Joe Welch.

Basingstoke continued to press forward and won a free-kick on the edge of the area when Dunn was fouled, but Wes Daly’s kick was headed behind for a corner, from which Jay Gasson narrowly headed over.

Bromley’s only effort on goal in the first half came on 20 minutes.

Danny Waldren crossed for Louis Theophanous to knock back to Ali Fuseini, who shot wide from just outside the 18-yard box.

Helge Orome did well to make a timely tackle on Manny Williams at the expense of a corner, from which Gasson again headed over.

News Shopper: Basingstoke latest side to enjoy Bromley's hospitality

Ming was booked for a tackle on Dunn and from Daly’s free-kick Welch punched clear before the game was held up for five minutes.

Basingstoke’s Ross Adams made a good block to stop Pierre Joseph-Dubois’s clear shot at goal, but as he fell to the ground he appeared to twist his left ankle, for which he was stretched off and taken to hospital.

After Delano Sam-Yorke had twice gone close to increasing the visitors lead, they eventually doubled their score in the fifth minute of time added on at the end of the first half.

Ming, who had a torrid afternoon against Dunn, sent a wayward pass straight to the winger.

He played a one-two with Williams to put him clear on goal and, as Welch advanced from his line, Dunn deservedly put his side two goals ahead with his second of the afternoon.

Bromley brought on Max Noble for Aaron Rhule one minute before the goal and replaced Ian Daly at half-time with Elliott Buchanan, but initially these changes made little difference.

Basingstoke had the first opportunity of the second half when McAuley shot straight at Welch on 53 minutes, but five minutes later Buchanan’s cross from the right flew across the face of the Basingstoke goal where there was no-one to touch home.

The visitors might have added to their score on 64 minutes when Sam-Yorke warded off three tackles on a 40-yard run, only to be denied by Welch who bravely dived at the forward’s feet.

Substitute Jordace Holder-Spooner blazed a free-kick high over the bar before Bromley were thrown a lifeline on 72 minutes.

News Shopper: Basingstoke latest side to enjoy Bromley's hospitality

Following a corner on the right, Moses Swaibu’s header was handled by Gasson and Waldren stepped up to confidently to send his spot-kick down the middle and underneath keeper Ashley Bayes to reduce the arrears.

This was the signal for Bromley to awake from their slumber and a number of gilt-edged chances went begging.

Noble missed from two yards, Theophanous put the ball straight to Bayes while attempting to divert it over the line and Joseph-Dubois’ run on goal was blocked by Gasson.

Waldren set Noble up with 11 minutes remaining, but the substitute was unlucky as he turned inside to see his curling shot come back off the far upright, while the visitors were relieved to see Joseph-Dubois’ header go over the bar a few minutes later.

However, Basingstoke were denied a third by Welch with two minutes remaining when he was quickly out to block McAuley’s strike.

And in the final minute the Bromley keeper stood tall to chest away Tim Sills’ effort as the Hampshire side held on for a deserved three points.

Tomorrow evening sees Bromley travel to Staines (7.45pm) and on Saturday they are back at Hayes Lane to face Boreham Wood (3pm).

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Bromley: Welch, Ming, Patterson (Taiwo, 63), Fuseini, Swaibu, Orome, Joseph-Dubois, Waldren, Theophanous, Daly (Buchanan 46), Rhule (Noble 44). Subs not used: Finn, Jones. Att: 457.