A LATE Adam Clayton penalty denied Charlton a fourth straight Championship win as the Addicks were held 1-1 by Huddersfield at The Valley.

The visitors played most of the game with 10-men following Keith Southern’s 35th minute dismissal for a foul on Michael Morrison.

Rob Hulse appeared to have made the numerical advantage count when he put Charlton in front on the hour.

But the 10-men were not to be denied after a spirited display and drew level in the 88th minute after Chris Solly conceded a penalty by tripping Peter Clarke, allowing Clayton to save the day for the Terriers from the spot.

Danny Haynes and Dan Seaborne both picked up knocks in training so were ruled out.

Ricardo Fuller returned to the starting XI and there was a debut for Arsenal loan midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong.

Yann Kermorgant was named among the substitutes, his first involvement in the Charlton matchday squad since the 3-2 defeat at Derby on September 18.

Lee Novak’s early shot was deflected behind for a corner, from which Clayton’s low volley from the edge of the area was cleared off the line by Johnnie Jackson with Clarke firing the loose ball over.

Novak drilled a 25-yard shot wide after Huddersfield broke quickly from a Charlton corner, Frimpong’s inviting cross came within inches of finding a Charlton team-mate in the six-yard box.

Alex Smithies punched clear Jackson’s 21st minute free-kick which had been whipped into the box from the left.

Paul Dixon was yellow carded for a cynical trip on Bradley Pritchard as he burst through on the right after being picked out by Fuller’s fine pass, with Smithies again having to punch away another Jackson free-kick.

Fuller burst into the box but dragged his low shot was off target, while at the other end Ben Hamer had to get down low to deal with Clayton’s effort, initially spilling the ball before gathering at the second attempt.

Huddersfield were reduced to 10-men in the 35th minute when Southern appeared to go into a challenge on Morrison with his studs showing, prompting referee Lee Collins to produce a straight red card and leave the Terriers up against it for the remainder of the game.

Jackson wasted a great opportunity to set up a Charlton chance as he delivered a cross from inside the area which was nowhere near picking out a team-mate.

Cort deflected behind Clayton’s 49th minute long range volley behind with his head, although the Charlton defender didn’t appear to know too much about it as the ball flew at him.

Hulse headed harmlessly over from Solly’s cross before he made amends moments later in Charlton’s next attack by putting the hosts in front on the hour, firing past Smithies with a low shot after meeting Pritchard’s excellent low delivery.

Frimpong was applauded off the pitch by the home fans as Chris Powell decided to replace the new boy with Danny Green in the 66th minute.

Huddersfield appealed in vain for a penalty after claiming Salim Kerkard had handled just inside his own area while attempting to clear the danger.

Fuller came close to adding a second with a powerful 20-yard shot which flew just beyond the post before being taken off six minutes from time to give Kermorgant a late cameo.

Jackson and then Cort both had to make clearances as Huddersfield pressed forward in search of an equaliser.

Their pressure was rewarded when Solly upended Clarke in the area and they were awarded a penalty, with Clayton sending Hamer the wrong way from the spot.

But Charlton could have won it in stoppage time, only a superb reaction save by Smithies keeping out Hulse’s header after the striker had met Green’s cross.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Charlton: Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Cort, Kerkar, Pritchard, Stephens, Frimpong (Green 66), Jackson, Fuller (Kermorgant 84), Hulse. Subs not used: Button, Dervite, Taylor, Jonsson, Wright-Phillips. Att: 20,012.