Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Greenwich Council board set to turn down McDonald's plans for Woolwich Church Street
BIG Macs are not top of the menu for everyone in Woolwich it seems.
Last week, News Shopper reported how more than 1,100 burger lovers had signed a petition calling for a new 24-hour McDonald's on a vacant industrial site at Woolwich Church Street.
But a counter-petition against the fast food giant's hopes for a new restaurant and drive thru has been signed by 154 people and councillors look poised to reject the scheme on Tuesday (Jun 19).
Among the concerns raised were increased noise and disturbance, with the takeaway's planned new home impacting on the King Henry's Wharf residential area.
Dan Whitehouse, a 39-year-old IT worker from Ruston Road, said: "My concern is that I live only about 100 metres away from that site.
"I don't particularly like the idea that, whenever I open my bedroom window and look to the right, I'll see a McDonald's."
Other objections against the plans include the fact there is already a branch at Powis Street and further outlets nearby in Plumstead and Charlton.
Mr Whitehouse said: "I think it's outrageous that we have to have so many of these 24 hour burger restaurants.
"McDonald's clearly seems to have a policy of total saturation."
In a report for consideration by a planning committee on Tuesday, officers recommended refusing the application.
Among the reasons given were that residents could be impacted "during periods when they would expect respite from the neighbouring commercial uses".
A McDonald’s spokesman said: “There is strong consumer demand for McDonald’s in Woolwich, so we are confident the new restaurant on Church Road will complement our existing restaurants in the area.
“We want to continue to invest in Woolwich and are committed to playing a positive role in the local community
Comments are closed on this article.