An English football fan is recovering in hospital after being stabbed when a gang of 50 armed Italian hooligans stormed a bar in Rome and attacked a group of Tottenham supporters.

The Spurs fans were drinking in Rome's Drunken Ship pub ahead of Thursday night's Europa League clash with Lazio when trouble flared.

The attackers - thought to belong to the club's notorious hooligans the Ultras - stormed the bar armed with knuckle dusters, baseball bats and broken bottles at 1am. Several English supporters were injured, along with a Californian and a Bangladeshi, and the brutal attack left the famous cobbled square of Campo de Fiori covered in blood.

Italian sources said Spurs fan Ashley Mills, born in 1987 and believed to have been stabbed, was seriously injured and was being treated at the city's San Camillo Hospital. A spokeswoman for Rome police said Mr Mills had received injuries to his "skull and thigh", was "not in danger of death" and would be kept in hospital for observation.

Officials said the attack was planned and "obviously organised", and that several Ultras were arrested as they tried to flee the wrecked pub.

Other injured fans were named as Dave Lesley, Stephen Tierney and Christopher Allen.

The pub landlord described the moment when the Spurs fans - who were "well behaved" and "drinking and singing quietly" - were attacked.

Rome police confirmed up to 50 assailants launched the assault which had drinkers scrambling from the popular night-spot - situated in one of the capital's most colourful and renowned squares. Rome police confirmed one person was arrested near the scene of the attacks for possession of drugs, but refused to say whether they were involved in the violence.

Lazio denied that its fans were involved in the attack. A spokesman for Tottenham Hotspur said: "We understand from local police that nine of our supporters suffered injuries last night following an incident in the city centre. Three of these supporters were taken to hospital for further treatment. We continue to seek further information and are liaising with both Italian and UK police on this matter."

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it was aware of the incident, had been in contact with a British national and had been in contact with Italian authorities and police.