Two men and a woman have been jailed for a total of 25 years after two students were tied up in their home and forced to hand over credit card details at gunpoint in what police have described as an "extremely traumatic experience".

Masked intruders Martin Gaffoor, 36, and Lee Whormsley, 37, burst into the house in Walkley, Sheffield, as the students slept, bound them with shoelaces, gagged them with socks and rifled through rooms for valuables, South Yorkshire Police said.

Gaffoor pointed a gun at the 20-year-olds and Whormsley carried a stun gun, South Yorkshire Police said after the pair from Shiregreen in Sheffield were jailed for 11 years and nine years respectively at the city's crown court.

Toni Slinn, 30, from Shiregreen, who accompanied the two men, was sentenced to five years in prison for her role in the robbery in November last year.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "Shortly before 8am, one of the students was woken by two men, Gaffoor and Whormsley, entering his room. They asked questions about the student's other housemates and whether he had a car.

"The men took his debit card and demanded his PIN. Gaffoor instructed Whormsley to tie up the student using electrical cable. All three made their way upstairs to the second student's bedroom.

"Gaffoor pointed the gun at the student and directed Whormsley to search the bedroom for his debit card. Again, they demanded the PIN. Whormsley was then instructed to tie up the second student, which he did using shoelaces."

After freeing themselves when the intruders left, the students called police and discovered a number of items had been stolen and money had been withdrawn from their bank accounts.

A police investigation identified Gaffoor and Whormsley, and then further identified Slinn, who used the bank cards to withdraw money while the students were tied up in their house. All three pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery and were sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court.

Gaffoor and Whormsley also pleaded guilty to two counts of false imprisonment, and two counts of possessing a firearm. Detective Constable Chris Lewis, who led the investigation, said: "The victims suffered an extremely traumatic experience at the hands of Gaffoor and Whormsley, while Slinn waited and took possession of stolen property."