Two men have been arrested in relation to the attack of Eddy Nganji after they handed themselves in to police.

The attack happened at approximately 2.30am on Tuesday, August 8, when Mr Nganji, 39, was outside a late-night grocery store in Lower Road, near the junction with Bestwood Street in Deptford.

He was approached by two people who arrived in a blue Ford Focus, and one of the suspects, a black man, appeared to turn aggressive towards Eddy for reasons unknown to the police.

A shop assistant intervened to stop Mr Nganji being attacked, but as he walked across the street towards McDonald's to avoid confrontation, the suspect hit him on the head from behind with an unknown object, and he fell to the floor unconscious.

The suspect then ran towards the Ford Focus and threw an item into it, before running in the direction of Trundleys Terrace.

Members of the public helped Mr Nganji as he was lying on the ground, including, it appears, the other suspect, who looked to be attempting to give him first aid.

However, he then jumped back into the car and drove off down Bestwood Street.

Mr Nganji was taken to hospital and has remained in a critical condition ever since, unable to speak to his family, including his ex-partner and three young sons and a young daughter, who are keeping vigil at his bedside.

Mr Nganji’s brother Donny said: "For us, the assault on Eddy was a tragic and unfortunate event. We could not believe someone would ever want to hurt Eddy. As Eddy is the rock of the family, we feel like a huge gap in our respective lives.

"Eddy was the kindest, thoughtful and most selfless man you could ever meet. He is a gentle and very compassionate; it's the norm for him to put others first, nothing is too much for him. The number of the people who come to visit him can testify how many souls he has touched.

"Since Eddy's incident, we haven't been going to our daily jobs and in additional to that, it includes sleepless nights, stressed morally, emotionally and physically. Our lives have been turned upside down, trying to make sense of how and why it happened.

"We feel helpless sitting at Eddy's bedside just waiting for any little improvement, for any positive information from doctors and praying for miracles. It's a real emotional roller-coaster, the not knowing what the future holds.

"Please, please we appeal to you, if anyone knows anything about what happened to our beloved brother, father and uncle Eddy, even if it's something you may think that is small, just please get in contact with the police.”

Two men, aged 20 and 19, have been arrested on suspicion of GBH, and both remain in custody.

Before the arrests on Tuesday, two men aged 42 and 27 were arrested on August 9 and 10 on suspicion of conspiracy to commit GBH but have since been released under investigation.

Detective Constable Alex Hamilton, from Lewisham CID, who is leading the investigation said: "Eddy's whole family has been left distraught by this vicious, unprovoked attack, for which any reason or motive is unclear.

"Eddy worked for Woking Council before the assault, but his physical injuries are so severe that his doctors cannot say at this point if he will ever recover enough to work in the future or lead any kind of normal life."

Anyone with information is asked to call Lewisham CID on 101 or contact @MetCC on Twitter, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or at