76-year-old waits 18 hours in Queen Elizabeth Hospital A&E

News Shopper: Kathleen Gummer, seven hours after she arrived Kathleen Gummer, seven hours after she arrived

A PLUMSTEAD woman whose 76-year-old mum waited 18 hours in Woolwich's casualty department has slammed proposals to close Lewisham's A&E.

When Kathleen Gummer arrived at a packed Queen Elizabeth Hospital at around 6pm she had to wait until 1.50am before finally being taken off a stretcher and given a bed, as staff tried to cope with a norovirus outbreak and the effects of wintry weather.

Daughter Jacky Ware, 56, of Plumstead Common, told News Shopper that she had called a doctor on January 20 when her mother started feeling unwell.

Because of suspected heart failure an ambulance was quickly called and Mrs Gummer was rushed to Woolwich.

Ms Ware said: "The initial assessment was done quickly and the wait for a doctor was a reasonable one.

"But then she was just left on a stretcher because they didn't have any beds in any wards anywhere.

"They didn't even have any pillows for her which was a surprise. The staff did their best they could by folding up blankets for her.

"Eventually, about 1.50am they got her off the stretcher and into a bed. She was in agony."

Ms Ware went on: "By 2am I needed to go home and she was in a bed. But when I phoned the next day at about 11am or 12pm I was told that she was still on A&E. They still hadn't found her a ward. It's just appalling."

Ms Ware said her mother, diagnosed with pneumonia was now well on the way to recovery.

The hospital has denied reports that ambulances were being diverted away from Woolwich at the weekend. But Mrs Gummer's case will raise further concerns about proposals to close Lewisham's A&E, putting more pressure on neighbouring Woolwich which would serve 750,000 people across three boroughs.

Ms Ware said: "I have no complaint with the staff - it's the resources. They can't keep up with the current demand. For someone to sit there and say that it can cope if another A&E closes is just ridiculous. It can't."

A spokesman for the South London Healthcare Trust said: "We have apologised to Mrs Gummer for an unacceptably long wait in A&E last weekend.

"While the vast majority of our patients are treated in A&E within the four hour maximum waiting time period, there are times when patients wait longer due to the availability of beds if there are sudden surges in A&E attendances or if there are particular issues with discharging patients who are medically fit for discharge.

"In the small number of cases when a patient does have to wait in the A&E department before being admitted to a ward, it is normal practice for spare beds to be brought into the A&E patient bays where they are cared for in the same way as if in a ward.

"Last weekend there were unfortunately a number of patients who had to wait for longer than we would have wished and this was in part due to a smaller number of beds being available due to norovirus and a lower than usual number of discharges due to the severe weather conditions.

"We have thanked our staff for the excellent efforts they have made in maintaining our services during these weather conditions."

A campaign group wants to hear from people with similar experiences. Email patientactiongroup@yahoo.com

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:41pm Thu 24 Jan 13

RoisinR says...

Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service..
His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain.
QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham,
Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW
Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service.. His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain. QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham, Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW RoisinR

3:34pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Threadworm says...

Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y
hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying.
Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff......
Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes
A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ...
Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies...
DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .
Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff . Threadworm

3:48pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Threadworm says...

RoisinR wrote:
Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service..
His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain.
QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham,
Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW
And Kershaw is now off to run/ruin Brighton and hove hospital as Chief exec= insult to all patients in the trust. Watch that hospital fail
[quote][p][bold]RoisinR[/bold] wrote: Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service.. His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain. QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham, Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW[/p][/quote]And Kershaw is now off to run/ruin Brighton and hove hospital as Chief exec= insult to all patients in the trust. Watch that hospital fail Threadworm

3:54pm Thu 24 Jan 13

RoisinR says...

yes quite Threadworm ur right
Someone should tell Caroline Lucas the local MP and the Brighton Argus whats coming their way!!
Kershaw should be sacked NOT rewared with a plum job.
Its the same ol' Tory Story
Jobs for the Boys(&girls) They clesrly think the people of SE London & Brighton are VERY stupid
We ARE not!!
Thank u
Wait for the Tory Trolls to start posting!!
yes quite Threadworm ur right Someone should tell Caroline Lucas the local MP and the Brighton Argus whats coming their way!! Kershaw should be sacked NOT rewared with a plum job. Its the same ol' Tory Story Jobs for the Boys(&girls) They clesrly think the people of SE London & Brighton are VERY stupid We ARE not!! Thank u Wait for the Tory Trolls to start posting!! RoisinR

4:27pm Thu 24 Jan 13

nearly right all the time says...

What happens to all the other old folks
who don`t have anyone to fight their
corner?

Whoever said Cameron was a rich boy
who didn`t know the price of milk was
spot on!
What happens to all the other old folks who don`t have anyone to fight their corner? Whoever said Cameron was a rich boy who didn`t know the price of milk was spot on! nearly right all the time

4:30pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Threadworm says...

Patient action group fight for the elderly - that is who sorted out this patient.....

So much corruption within this government and trust- TRUST is not a word that describes South London Healthcare thats for sure or this these government bodies
Patient action group fight for the elderly - that is who sorted out this patient..... So much corruption within this government and trust- TRUST is not a word that describes South London Healthcare thats for sure or this these government bodies Threadworm

6:46pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Bevangirl says...

An elderly lady waiting 18 hours to get admitted from A & E to a ward, a mentally disturbed woman allowed to leave QE A & E and go on to murder an innocent person, an elderly man suffering from dementia allowed to leave A & E and walk for miles in the freezing weather, a mother giving birth in the toilets after being told by QE staff to go home. Doesn't give one much faith in QE does it. Sounds to me as though they are already overworked and stretched to capacity!! I hope Mr Kershaw can sleep at night.
An elderly lady waiting 18 hours to get admitted from A & E to a ward, a mentally disturbed woman allowed to leave QE A & E and go on to murder an innocent person, an elderly man suffering from dementia allowed to leave A & E and walk for miles in the freezing weather, a mother giving birth in the toilets after being told by QE staff to go home. Doesn't give one much faith in QE does it. Sounds to me as though they are already overworked and stretched to capacity!! I hope Mr Kershaw can sleep at night. Bevangirl

7:49pm Thu 24 Jan 13

lollie,erith says...

its an appalling situation and unfortunately will only get worse. so many hospitals being closed but the population is growing. a doctor once said that even waiting lists are unnecessarily long as they want to pressure patients into paying for private treatment. hope the lady in this story is ok.
its an appalling situation and unfortunately will only get worse. so many hospitals being closed but the population is growing. a doctor once said that even waiting lists are unnecessarily long as they want to pressure patients into paying for private treatment. hope the lady in this story is ok. lollie,erith

8:02pm Thu 24 Jan 13

RoisinR says...

The Tories voted against the NHS in 1946 & have hated it ever since.
They have ruined it in a few short years having been given the Green Light by New Labours marketisations & PFIs.
As with the Utilities & Council Housing OUR public assetts have been sold off & effectively stolen from us by this dreadful unelected, undemocratic excuse for a Govt that rules in favour of the rich whilst taking continuously from the poorest & sick & disabled.
. The Tories have sold the family silver including the NHS now as their own McMillian, former PM in the 50s wisely pronounced
The Tories voted against the NHS in 1946 & have hated it ever since. They have ruined it in a few short years having been given the Green Light by New Labours marketisations & PFIs. As with the Utilities & Council Housing OUR public assetts have been sold off & effectively stolen from us by this dreadful unelected, undemocratic excuse for a Govt that rules in favour of the rich whilst taking continuously from the poorest & sick & disabled. . The Tories have sold the family silver including the NHS now as their own McMillian, former PM in the 50s wisely pronounced RoisinR

2:43am Fri 25 Jan 13

Threadworm says...

RoisinR wrote:
Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service..
His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain.
QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham,
Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW
Read this and you will see why Kershaw doesnt and didnt give a toss.....


http://www.brightona
ndhovenews.org/2013/
01/16/brighton-hospi
tal-trust-appoints-n
ew-chief-executive/1
8909
[quote][p][bold]RoisinR[/bold] wrote: Thats shocking & further evidence that Kershsw is TOTALLY unable to run our VITAL local Health service.. His proposals to cut A&E an Maternity services at Lewisham will ONLY put the services at QEH under even greater strain. QEH is underresourced & overstretched now & Kershaw knew this before his crazy proposals to ADD to it by closing Lewisham, Stop putting PROFIT before PATIENTS & pay OFF the PFI NOW[/p][/quote]Read this and you will see why Kershaw doesnt and didnt give a toss..... http://www.brightona ndhovenews.org/2013/ 01/16/brighton-hospi tal-trust-appoints-n ew-chief-executive/1 8909 Threadworm

10:18am Fri 25 Jan 13

rescaaffering oldey says...

...does not surprise one little bit!! - no one seems to care about those that gave so much to this once great nation.
...does not surprise one little bit!! - no one seems to care about those that gave so much to this once great nation. rescaaffering oldey

2:10pm Tue 29 Jan 13

concerned.erith says...

Sorry but I beg to differ - I was with someone was in A&E in the bed opposite her when she was admitted.

She was bought in by ambulance staff, transferred to a bed not left on a stretcher - she was bought in on her own - no daughter fussing and worrying about her mum and she was still on her own when I left at 8pm.

She was also quite clear her neighbour called the ambulance as she was on her own.

The person I was with arrived at 10am and went up to the wards at 9pm - yes they were short of beds but they were struggling with the beds due to sickness. That's about the only true thing in this article!
Sorry but I beg to differ - I was with someone was in A&E in the bed opposite her when she was admitted. She was bought in by ambulance staff, transferred to a bed not left on a stretcher - she was bought in on her own - no daughter fussing and worrying about her mum and she was still on her own when I left at 8pm. She was also quite clear her neighbour called the ambulance as she was on her own. The person I was with arrived at 10am and went up to the wards at 9pm - yes they were short of beds but they were struggling with the beds due to sickness. That's about the only true thing in this article! concerned.erith

3:24pm Tue 29 Jan 13

reasonable75 says...

concerned.erith wrote:
Sorry but I beg to differ - I was with someone was in A&E in the bed opposite her when she was admitted.

She was bought in by ambulance staff, transferred to a bed not left on a stretcher - she was bought in on her own - no daughter fussing and worrying about her mum and she was still on her own when I left at 8pm.

She was also quite clear her neighbour called the ambulance as she was on her own.

The person I was with arrived at 10am and went up to the wards at 9pm - yes they were short of beds but they were struggling with the beds due to sickness. That's about the only true thing in this article!
Interesting comments

So if correct, where was the daughter? Has she contacted NS out of guilt & to try & deflect her lack of care

I'd like to know which account is true
[quote][p][bold]concerned.erith[/bold] wrote: Sorry but I beg to differ - I was with someone was in A&E in the bed opposite her when she was admitted. She was bought in by ambulance staff, transferred to a bed not left on a stretcher - she was bought in on her own - no daughter fussing and worrying about her mum and she was still on her own when I left at 8pm. She was also quite clear her neighbour called the ambulance as she was on her own. The person I was with arrived at 10am and went up to the wards at 9pm - yes they were short of beds but they were struggling with the beds due to sickness. That's about the only true thing in this article![/p][/quote]Interesting comments So if correct, where was the daughter? Has she contacted NS out of guilt & to try & deflect her lack of care I'd like to know which account is true reasonable75

11:00am Wed 30 Jan 13

concerned.erith says...

Threadworm wrote:
Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .
Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one.

The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN.

Get off your soapbox and do something useful
[quote][p][bold]Threadworm[/bold] wrote: Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .[/p][/quote]Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one. The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN. Get off your soapbox and do something useful concerned.erith

4:23pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Virtual-Monster says...

This will be the first of many cases of this type if Lewisham A&E is closed.

The existing A&E services are barely adequate for our area now, close another A&E and it's not difficult to see the outcome.
This will be the first of many cases of this type if Lewisham A&E is closed. The existing A&E services are barely adequate for our area now, close another A&E and it's not difficult to see the outcome. Virtual-Monster

5:00pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Threadworm says...

Virtual-Monster wrote:
This will be the first of many cases of this type if Lewisham A&E is closed.

The existing A&E services are barely adequate for our area now, close another A&E and it's not difficult to see the outcome.
And what happens to those that dont have a daughter to kick up a fuss..... we seen the elderly treatment or lack of it - the trust spokesman said there was a norovirus problem- the only problem is the staff seem not to know about it- its in their handbook on bull-****!!!

Trouble has been too much corruption in the trust- too many high paid managers and spin doctors lying to the press

BTW Clara - data protection and IP tracers- have a nice day.......
[quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: This will be the first of many cases of this type if Lewisham A&E is closed. The existing A&E services are barely adequate for our area now, close another A&E and it's not difficult to see the outcome.[/p][/quote]And what happens to those that dont have a daughter to kick up a fuss..... we seen the elderly treatment or lack of it - the trust spokesman said there was a norovirus problem- the only problem is the staff seem not to know about it- its in their handbook on bull-****!!! Trouble has been too much corruption in the trust- too many high paid managers and spin doctors lying to the press BTW Clara - data protection and IP tracers- have a nice day....... Threadworm

6:34pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Warehouse says...

concerned.erith wrote:
Threadworm wrote:
Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .
Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one.

The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN.

Get off your soapbox and do something useful
Hi Concerned Erith
I would like to know if you are a liar or a fantasist? I accompanied my mother in the ambulance to A&E, we arrived at approx 6pm, the initial response by staff was acceptable with regards to waiting times to be seen. My mother was then left on a stretcher bed which was so uncomfortable it caused her a lot of pain.

She was eventually given a proper bed in A&E at 2am. She was then kept in A&E until I contacted The Patient Action Group and was advised by them to call Carl Shoben in the hospital's press office.
I can assure you the ambulance was called by the GP in my presence and not the neighbour. As for you being in the bed opposite, I suggest you are lying or not who you say you are. I would also like to know why you were in A&E yourself when you couldn't have been that ill if you were paying so much attention to my mother. If you had your facts straight you would know I left the hospital at 2am after my mother was given a proper bed. She did have to remain in A&E until lunchtime the next day. I would like the staff to look more carefully at who gets a bed in an A&E cubicle because obviously "Concerned Erith" wasn't that sick. For your info my name is Jacky Ware and I have no need to hide my identity because I am telling the truth.
[quote][p][bold]concerned.erith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Threadworm[/bold] wrote: Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .[/p][/quote]Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one. The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN. Get off your soapbox and do something useful[/p][/quote]Hi Concerned Erith I would like to know if you are a liar or a fantasist? I accompanied my mother in the ambulance to A&E, we arrived at approx 6pm, the initial response by staff was acceptable with regards to waiting times to be seen. My mother was then left on a stretcher bed which was so uncomfortable it caused her a lot of pain. She was eventually given a proper bed in A&E at 2am. She was then kept in A&E until I contacted The Patient Action Group and was advised by them to call Carl Shoben in the hospital's press office. I can assure you the ambulance was called by the GP in my presence and not the neighbour. As for you being in the bed opposite, I suggest you are lying or not who you say you are. I would also like to know why you were in A&E yourself when you couldn't have been that ill if you were paying so much attention to my mother. If you had your facts straight you would know I left the hospital at 2am after my mother was given a proper bed. She did have to remain in A&E until lunchtime the next day. I would like the staff to look more carefully at who gets a bed in an A&E cubicle because obviously "Concerned Erith" wasn't that sick. For your info my name is Jacky Ware and I have no need to hide my identity because I am telling the truth. Warehouse

6:59pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Warehouse says...

concerned.erith wrote:
Threadworm wrote:
Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .
Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one.

The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN.

Get off your soapbox and do something useful
Hi
It's Jacky Ware here and I would like to say I did not arrive at 8pm the day after my mother was admitted. I didn't go to the hospital that day as I had been up until 5am after leaving the hospital at 2am. It was in fact my brother and sister in law who visited her. They did not arrive that late at all but would have been earlier had they also not had a long wait in A&E with their daughter. At no time did my mother say she had ever suffered with Emphysema. Yes she did smoke until the late 80's but has not smoked since. My mother may be getting on in years but is not senile and knows what she said. I did contact The Patient Action Group via email as I was in possession of their card thanks to one of the staff.
I would appreciate it if you made sure the facts you put here are correct. And due to breaches in the data protection acts where did you get private information about my mother???? please rest assured I will not let this matter drop.

The patient action group are a fantastic concern who have helped so many I dread to think what would have happened to my mother had she been alone.
[quote][p][bold]concerned.erith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Threadworm[/bold] wrote: Mrs Gummers daughter ONLY got results after contacting patient action group patientactiongroup@y hoo.com they informed Ms Ware to complain to management and ONLY THEN was Mrs Gummer given a bed. If the communications department stop spinning lies to the press a true picture will be horrifying. Patientaction group now do ward rounds and consist of 449 members most of which are staff...... Ambulances are regularly in a queue waiting with patients to be admitted. There was no norovirus that particular weekend and how will they cope with thousands of people well Lewisham A.E closes A good reason to join the demonstration on Saturday ... Thankfully Mrs Gummer survived ONLY because her daughter was there to contact PAG who advised her. What is happening to the elderly who have nobody....... its not the staff its the resources and the spinning of lies upon lies... DEATHS AND MORE DEATHS WILL BE THE ONLY OUTCOME OF LEWISHAM CLOSING... get rid of the high paid managers and corrupt staff .[/p][/quote]Threadworm - are you reading the same article?? It does not say the mother only got a bed after the daughter contacted the patient action group - it is an email address not a telephone number you cant contact, nor do they appear to have a web page as I've tried to find one. The daughter wasn't there until after 8pm when I left. The mother's breathing problems were due to the fact she smoked until the late 1980's when she gave up and has she actually has Emphysema - another fact that she freely admitted when she was there on her OWN. Get off your soapbox and do something useful[/p][/quote]Hi It's Jacky Ware here and I would like to say I did not arrive at 8pm the day after my mother was admitted. I didn't go to the hospital that day as I had been up until 5am after leaving the hospital at 2am. It was in fact my brother and sister in law who visited her. They did not arrive that late at all but would have been earlier had they also not had a long wait in A&E with their daughter. At no time did my mother say she had ever suffered with Emphysema. Yes she did smoke until the late 80's but has not smoked since. My mother may be getting on in years but is not senile and knows what she said. I did contact The Patient Action Group via email as I was in possession of their card thanks to one of the staff. I would appreciate it if you made sure the facts you put here are correct. And due to breaches in the data protection acts where did you get private information about my mother???? please rest assured I will not let this matter drop. The patient action group are a fantastic concern who have helped so many I dread to think what would have happened to my mother had she been alone. Warehouse

11:12pm Wed 30 Jan 13

lollie,erith says...

there are too many people on here making nasty cruel comments and not sticking to the facts of the story. as you may notice the same names come up all the time. it would be nice if they would put their efforts into doing something positive in life. i hope your mum is feeling better.
there are too many people on here making nasty cruel comments and not sticking to the facts of the story. as you may notice the same names come up all the time. it would be nice if they would put their efforts into doing something positive in life. i hope your mum is feeling better. lollie,erith

11:33pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Warehouse says...

Thank you I am outraged to say the least. My Mother is feeling better.

For anyone needing help The Patient action group are fantastic even the staff in A&E have their cards.

Their E;mail is patientactiongroup@y
ahoo.com
Thank you I am outraged to say the least. My Mother is feeling better. For anyone needing help The Patient action group are fantastic even the staff in A&E have their cards. Their E;mail is patientactiongroup@y ahoo.com Warehouse

12:58am Sun 3 Feb 13

lollie,erith says...

thank you i will make a note of the PAG. the A&E tried to kick my sister out and also her partner on another occasion without any medical assistance. this is obviously down to the staff having to meet govt targets but she refused to go and they called security, my sister said if you try to remove me physically i will call the police. it was only then that a doctor came over and said my sister's partner did need to be transferred to a ward, otherwise the staff wouldve sent him home in severe pain. its so disgusting. dont let them push you around.
thank you i will make a note of the PAG. the A&E tried to kick my sister out and also her partner on another occasion without any medical assistance. this is obviously down to the staff having to meet govt targets but she refused to go and they called security, my sister said if you try to remove me physically i will call the police. it was only then that a doctor came over and said my sister's partner did need to be transferred to a ward, otherwise the staff wouldve sent him home in severe pain. its so disgusting. dont let them push you around. lollie,erith

12:26pm Mon 4 Feb 13

concerned.erith says...

Warehouse, I am not a liar or a fantasist. I was in A&E with my husband from 10am. At some point afer 5pm-6pm a lady who appears to be the one in the picture was admitted on her own and given oxygen for breathing difficulties. She was on her own for the whole time I was there, and was reading a book with the oxygen mask on her face.

There must have been 2 old ladies who were admitted on that Sunday because I certainly know what I saw and what I heard!

You may recall my husband was the one crying out with pain every few minutes for the whole time he was there - and everyone else in A&E being upset that there seemed to be nothing done to stop the pain he was in.

Sorry if I have the wrong old lady but I have no time to waste arguing with you as I am back and forth twice a day to the hospital to see him as he is still an in patient an I don't have any more time to think about this.

However, I will note the action group email as there have been several compliations caused by the hospital and the operation that was performed on him.

I hope your mother is OK and has recovered.
Warehouse, I am not a liar or a fantasist. I was in A&E with my husband from 10am. At some point afer 5pm-6pm a lady who appears to be the one in the picture was admitted on her own and given oxygen for breathing difficulties. She was on her own for the whole time I was there, and was reading a book with the oxygen mask on her face. There must have been 2 old ladies who were admitted on that Sunday because I certainly know what I saw and what I heard! You may recall my husband was the one crying out with pain every few minutes for the whole time he was there - and everyone else in A&E being upset that there seemed to be nothing done to stop the pain he was in. Sorry if I have the wrong old lady but I have no time to waste arguing with you as I am back and forth twice a day to the hospital to see him as he is still an in patient an I don't have any more time to think about this. However, I will note the action group email as there have been several compliations caused by the hospital and the operation that was performed on him. I hope your mother is OK and has recovered. concerned.erith

1:01am Tue 5 Feb 13

Threadworm says...

concerned.erith wrote:
Warehouse, I am not a liar or a fantasist. I was in A&E with my husband from 10am. At some point afer 5pm-6pm a lady who appears to be the one in the picture was admitted on her own and given oxygen for breathing difficulties. She was on her own for the whole time I was there, and was reading a book with the oxygen mask on her face.

There must have been 2 old ladies who were admitted on that Sunday because I certainly know what I saw and what I heard!

You may recall my husband was the one crying out with pain every few minutes for the whole time he was there - and everyone else in A&E being upset that there seemed to be nothing done to stop the pain he was in.

Sorry if I have the wrong old lady but I have no time to waste arguing with you as I am back and forth twice a day to the hospital to see him as he is still an in patient an I don't have any more time to think about this.

However, I will note the action group email as there have been several compliations caused by the hospital and the operation that was performed on him.

I hope your mother is OK and has recovered.
I dont believe that you had anyone In A.E at all your arrogance to Mrs Gummers daughter is shameful but thats par for the course with you!!!

if you had a sick person in hospital you certainly wouldnt worry about commenting on this story-

we all know WHO you are !!!!!!


I rest my case Clara.- Karma will come bite you on the arse and soon.
[quote][p][bold]concerned.erith[/bold] wrote: Warehouse, I am not a liar or a fantasist. I was in A&E with my husband from 10am. At some point afer 5pm-6pm a lady who appears to be the one in the picture was admitted on her own and given oxygen for breathing difficulties. She was on her own for the whole time I was there, and was reading a book with the oxygen mask on her face. There must have been 2 old ladies who were admitted on that Sunday because I certainly know what I saw and what I heard! You may recall my husband was the one crying out with pain every few minutes for the whole time he was there - and everyone else in A&E being upset that there seemed to be nothing done to stop the pain he was in. Sorry if I have the wrong old lady but I have no time to waste arguing with you as I am back and forth twice a day to the hospital to see him as he is still an in patient an I don't have any more time to think about this. However, I will note the action group email as there have been several compliations caused by the hospital and the operation that was performed on him. I hope your mother is OK and has recovered.[/p][/quote]I dont believe that you had anyone In A.E at all your arrogance to Mrs Gummers daughter is shameful but thats par for the course with you!!! if you had a sick person in hospital you certainly wouldnt worry about commenting on this story- we all know WHO you are !!!!!! I rest my case Clara.- Karma will come bite you on the arse and soon. Threadworm

9:32am Tue 5 Feb 13

concerned.erith says...

threadworm read my comment which referred to Sunday but was posted days later. Yes my husband was sick, is still sick, in fact he is still in hospital!

I too believe what goes around comes around so maybe you need to watch out too.
threadworm read my comment which referred to Sunday but was posted days later. Yes my husband was sick, is still sick, in fact he is still in hospital! I too believe what goes around comes around so maybe you need to watch out too. concerned.erith

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree