Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
New Cross station ticket machine card scamming device CCTV pictures
DETECTIVES have released CCTV images after a card scamming device was found on a ticket machine at New Cross Station.
An investigation was launched in May this year after a member of the public spotted something suspicious when she tried to use the machine.
Now images have been circulated to help British Transport Police catch those responsible for fitting it.
Officers believe the device was fitted between 6.30am and 9.45am on May 29 and wish to speak to the men pictured to help with their enquiries.
Detective Constable Rebecca Crampton said: “We have conducted an in-depth investigation into the incident to try to identify the people responsible.
“This has included working through forensic opportunities, conducting anniversary visits, covert patrols, and speaking with witnesses.
“Images have been circulated to other forces and on police intelligence systems, but unfortunately to no avail.
“From viewing CCTV at the station, we have now isolated an image of men we believe were in the area at the time and who we believe may be able to help with our investigation.”
If you recognise the men or have information about the incident, please call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference B9/LS of 8/11/12. Or you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Anyone who witnesses suspicious activity at ticket machines should alert a member of staff or contact British Transport Police.
BTP’s tips to help prevent becoming a victim of fraud at ATMs and ticket machines:
• Always ensure that you cover your hand when typing in your PIN
• Be aware of your surroundings. Do not be distracted when using an ATM or ticket machine.
• Never use a ticket machine or ATM where other people are lingering. If you feel uneasy, use another machine.
• Report confiscated cards immediately. If you can, don’t leave the machine. Instead, call the bank from the machine or ATM using a mobile phone.
• Never rely on the help of strangers to retrieve a confiscated card.
• Keep close tabs on your day-to-day account activity, and immediately report any fraudulent or suspicious withdrawals.