Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Victim of Bugsby's Way bus collision named as Praise Oduberu
A COLLISION which saw a 25-year-old woman killed by a bus has shocked people living nearby and lead to renewed calls for an overhaul of the "dangerous" junction.
People living in Greenwich Millennium Village say they have seen numerous incidents at the junction with Bugsby's Way over the years, with the latest taking place on April 17 at 5.10pm.
Praise Oduberu was crossing the junction, which sees the Southern Way bus lanes meet busy traffic and pedestrian crossings, when she was hit by a 486 bus.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Barry Potts, of Southern Way, witnessed the aftermath and says there have been a series of similar crashes.
Just last a month a cyclist was hit by a bus sending them crashing through the vehicle's windscreen.
Mr Potts said: "Afterwards I sat and watched the buses flying over again.
"They just come round that corner and seem to pick up speed as they come round."
The 37-year-old said part of the problem came from the filtering of the lights, which gives priority to buses coming to and from the shopping centre, causing confusion for pedestrians and cars.
The theatre producer added: "Everyone I've spoken to has said 'I was nearly hit too'.
"They say yes, it's dangerous, yes it's a problem.
"It's especially dangerous if you've got someone who's elderly or someone with a pram.
"Perhaps signage is a problem. But I think the buses should actually have to stop before they come through and not treat it like it's their right of way."
The junction is not far from the spot where a seven-year-old Millennium Primary School pupil was hit by a bus at Pilot Bus Way last April.
This accident lead to a campaign by parents for safety improvements.
Norman Crawford, 59, said he was writing to ward councillor Mary Mills about the ongoing problems in the area, which will soon feature more homes, and where police were out in force last week promoting traffic safety.
He said: "My concern is that it's not the first serious accident on that junction.
"Three or four years ago there was talk about remodelling that junction but it hasn't happened."
The 41-year-old bus driver was arrested at the scene on suspicion of death by dangerous driving.
He was bailed to return to a south London police station on July 4.
If you have information call police on 020 8285 1574 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A spokesman for Go Ahead London buses said: "Our thoughts and sympathy are with the family and friends of the deceased.
"We are carrying out a full investigation and will be cooperating with the relevant authorities."
A spokeswoman for Greenwich Council said the responsibility for the junction was shared with Transport for London.
She said: "The Royal Borough of Greenwich is extremely saddened by this tragedy and sends heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the young lady who has lost her life.
"Road safety is a major priority for the Royal Borough - we now await the outcome of police reports into the circumstances of what happened and will then take a view on any appropriate action.
"When anything so very serious occurs in the Royal Borough we always thoroughly examine the circumstances and will fully consider all options within our jurisdiction to help prevent such tragedies happening again".
Comments are closed on this article.