RESIDENTS of Lord Warwick Street in Woolwich have been left “numb” after a fatal shooting in the middle of their street last night.

A 35-year-old man, named locally and on Twitter as Marcus, was pronounced dead at the scene at 7.19pm after police received a call around 6.20pm.

Officers and crews from the London Ambulance Service attended and detectives from Trident Gang Crime Command are investigating.

Gary Martin’s flat overlooks the street where the shooting took place and heard gunfire.

The 45-year-old said: “I heard a bang – it sounded like a firework.

”I was listening to the radio. The next thing I know all the police were there and all the lights.

“I am a bit stunned really. It’s always been a bit of trouble round here, kids hang around but nothing on this scale. “It makes you think. I think we are all a bit numb.”

Students - who live in Frances Road, next to where the attack happened - say they are too scared to go out at night and travel in groups for safety.

Nicholle Keen-Cross, who studies journalism at Greenwich University, walked past the top of the road moments after the shot was fired.

The 20-year-old said: “I literally walked by it when it happened. “It hasn’t been very nice around here recently. Lot of police up the road.

“We are not going out unless it is in a group of us, in twos and threes. No one goes out late. “It is definitely more fear [than anything].”

She says the group of four students only moved in in September and already there have been a catalogue of incidents.

Ms Cross said: “I don’t like living here. We only moved in in September. The guy who ran away from police – killed in the tunnel. And a 17-year-old girl who nearly got snatched into his car.

“We are tied in till July. I am moving out straight after July.”

Linzey Bradley lives close by in Petts Street and fears for the safety of her four-year-old son Ronney.

The 25-year-old said: “I think it is ridiculous, right on your doorstep. It was about the time you could have been walking down here with your kids.

“It is full of drug-dealers and all. It is awful around here.

“I can’t imagine what it is going to be like when they are older if it is like this now."

She added: “Throw away the keys.”

Three men have been arrested in connection with the investigation and remain in custody at south London police stations.

Any witnesses or anyone with any information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.