Ninety residents in sheltered accommodation were treated to carols and a unique waitering service at their Christmas dinner on Tuesday, December 1.

The choir and 13 trained waiters from Charlton Manor primary school did the honours at Hider Court in Hervey Road, Kidbrooke.

“It’s been lovely,” beamed Shirley Edgar, 78. “It was so nice to have the children here. I was very surprised to have the waiters and they were really good.”

The dinner with a difference – also attended by deputy mayor Cllr Olu Babatola - was arranged by Mrs Ollie Farmer, who is a borough champion for Tesco’s in Woolwich and has two children – Louie and Teddy - at the school in nearby Indus Road.

“We all have to put on a big event for a charity,” said Mrs Farmer. “We originally went to Minnie Bennett House but then we decided to involve Hider Court as well.

“I joined Tesco’s in 2012 but started this job in September. This is my first event and I absolutely love doing it. I love to see everybody together like this and not just staying in their rooms.”

The waiters were brought along by teacher Debby Coker. She said: “We have 70 waiters at school and 13 of them attended today. We heard about this event when Tesco’s came into school to talk about the community.

“As our children get older we want them to realise how important it is for them to get involved in the world around them. We also have three elderly VIP residents who come to the school every Friday for their lunch and they tell us how much they love it.”

Music teacher Edward Seagroatt said: We did traditional carols like Once in Royal David’s City and Silent Night, plus a couple of more lively ones the children have been learning, and we finished off with We Wish You A Merry Christmas.”