An Eltham MP has been rebuked for calling Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt an idiot.

Clive Efford, Labour MP for Eltham, was accused of making a "squawking sound" and using "unparliamentary language" when lashing out at Mr Hunt during Prime Minister's Questions.

Mr Efford made the remark when accusing Mr Hunt of planning to close Lewisham Hospital's accident and emergency department.

Speaker John Bercow forced Mr Efford to withdraw his remark, although Mr Efford added: "The public out there will draw their own conclusions.

Mr Bercow said: "First of all, it is unseemly to squawk and I think it would be accurate to say what I heard was a squawk.

"I'm not sure if there is a verb "to squawk" but there was a squawking sound.

"But what is worse is unparliamentary language and I believe you used a word you will no wish to withdraw."

Mr Bercow had questioned Mr Hunt to explain what state A&E services in south east London would have been in if he had succeeded in closing Lewisham Hospital's A&E.

Mr Hunt said: "First of all, as you know perfectly well, there were never any plans to close that A&E and you should desist from scaremongering about what was happening at Lewisham Hospital."

As Mr Hunt continued his answer, Mr Effort was heard repeatedly telling Mr Hunt : "It went to court."

He then added to Mr Hunt: "You idiot, it went to court."

In 2013, the Government lost its appeal against a court ruling that Mr Hunt breached provisions of the National Health Services Act 2006 and did not have the power to implement cuts at Lewisham Hospital.

The Court of Appeal dismissed Mr Hunt's claim that he was within the law over a decision to downgrade A&E and maternity services at the hospital.

When told to withdraw the idiot remark, Mr Efford said: "I will withdraw it unreservedly but the public out their will draw their own conclusions