MAGICIAN Jon Armstrong is back at Greenwich Theatre to add more mystery and mayhem to the Puss in Boots panto that’s many people’s automatic No.1 choice for Christmas entertainment.

Jon first devised his tricks for Robin Hood at Greenwich Theatre last year, which included a levitating Maid Marian who vanished before appearing in the audience and catching a golden arrow in full flight. For this year, he brings a string of fantastic illusions for the magical talking cat who helps a poor young man take on the evil goblin in Andrew Pollard’s razor-sharp production.

Jon has been hooked on magic since a birthday party magician took him under his wing. “I’ve spent a long time trying to make a living out of it,” said Jon, “and over the last six or seven years the work I do with theatres has all come together brilliantly.

“I love magic. I love it when it’s subtle but I also love the big splashy stuff like panto. We’ve got a great cast and great director in Andrew Pollard. I’ve dipped in and out of rehearsals and we’ve got a big magic rehearsal coming up. I absolutely love it.”

The magician’s five year-old son George has already got the bug. “He’s also a great test audience,” said Jon. “Our company is bringing a children’s magic show to Greenwich next year called How To Be A Super Hero, which should be great fun. Magic works for all ages and takes you back to little moments of childhood wonder, and there’s no better place to do that than in a pantomime.”

*Puss In Boots runs from Thursday, November 21, to Sunday, January 5, 2014. Book by calling the box office on 020 8858 7755 (1pm-6pm, Monday to Saturday) or visit www.greenwichtheatre.org.uk