ONE of the country’s best-loved pantomime dames, Andrew Pollard is to star in Puss In Boots at Greenwich Theatre - the pulsating panto that goes to the top of the family list every festive season.

And this year – with tickets already going fast – there’ll be elements of magic and bespoke puppetry added to a brilliant musical theatre cast that’ll have audiences rocking in the aisles.

“The magic of panto is that it’s for every member of the family,” said Andrew.  “You have to have a few jokes for adults and loads for the kids. You throw in everything that’s been happening during the year, but there has to be a strong story line at the heart of it to keep the kids happy. Parents love it if the kids do. Everyone relaxes and we just have a big party really.”

The classic tale of the young man whose life is transformed by a magical talking cat is wonderfully enhanced by magic consultants Simply Told and puppet masters Gomito and The River People.

Can Puss outwit the evil goblin without losing all of his nine lives?

“We keep the show punchy and we try to give the whole cast a good bit to do to bring out the best in their characters,” said Andrew, who now writes for three other theatres during the year.

“I used to have to make myself sound older as the dame but I’m 46 now and if anything have to sound a bit younger! We’ve also got a new villain this year, Andonis Anthony, who’s very, very good.”

With Andrew as writer for the past eight years, and this year directing for the second time, Greenwich Theatre has gained a reputation for producing its own fresh, exciting pantos.

“We’ve got some of the best young musical theatre performers around, and I think this is what keeps the energy up. It’s all about the quality of the show. There will be 68 shows so we have to be match fit!” said Andrew.

“We do know that some people have come before so there is pressure and I do get nervous. We do try to top it each time or at least be as good as we were the time before.”

This will be Andrew’s eighth panto at Greenwich Theatre.

“Greenwich is a great theatre for panto because it’s intimate and there’s not a bad seat,” he said. “I do take it very seriously and I absolutely love it.”

*Puss In Boots runs from Thursday, November 21, to Sunday, January 5, 2014. Book by calling the box office on 020 8858 7755 (1pm-6pm, Monday to Saturday) or visit www.greenwichtheatre.org.uk.