A DARE-DEVIL 71-year-old will sky dive 13,000 feet from a plane dressed as adventure hero Biggles for charity.

Mike Ash, who lives in Hervey Road in Blackheath, will take the giant leap in goggles and helmet on July 25 to raise funds for cerebral palsy charity the Freddie Farmer Foundation.

The grandfather-of-six regularly hits the slopes and - despite having recently had an operation on his foot - is raring to take this sky-high challenge.

He said: "The doctor said "It is dangerous" and I said "Life is dangerous – one thing is for sure, I can’t die young.

"I am up for anything – dares ... whatever.

"The older I get, the more I want to do. I am not nervous.
"People say: ‘You must be mad’. My cousin in Canada even said: ‘Can I pay you not to do it?"

The publisher- who will dress as fictional pilot Biggles - is no stranger to charity fancy dress and has previously played cricket as a maharaja in turban and diamond-studded cape.

Mr Ash said: "Biggles is a boyhood hero – he is a character I grew up with."

He is related to seven-year-old Freddie Farmer who was born with cerebral palsy at 28 weeks old, weighing just 2lb 12oz.

Mike Ash, who is Freddie’s grandfather’s cousin, said: "I’ve always taken chances in life and business, and anyway nothing is too dangerous when it’s for Freddie.

"He is a dear little boy. I look at him and he has been so brave and coped with it very well. My heart goes out to him.

"My nickname from cricket is ‘Smashy’ and Freddy calls me that. He also calls me British Gas – he laughs all the time."

Mr Ash hopes to raise £10,000 from his charity jump at Headcorn airfield in Kent.

To sponsor the sky dive visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MichaelAsh