A bowel cancer survivor who has been chosen to carry the Olympic flame is hoping to raise thousands to help doctors fight the disease by auctioning off celebrity memorabilia in his possession.

Dafydd Jones, 29, from Crystal Palace, who had a tumour diagnosed in 2009, hopes the online sale will boost his overall fundraising total for charity Beating Bowel Cancer to £10,000.

Top auction items being sold on the internet bidding site eBay include a script for the Desperate Housewives pilot signed by the cast, VIP tickets to watch the filming of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and a World Cup match running order signed by former player Gary Lineker.

Everyone in the celebrity world from Stephen Fry to Joan Rivers has been donating their prized possessions. Mr Jones, who will be running with the torch through Croydon on Monday, July 23, wrote to hundreds of high profile celebrities and brands asking them to donate items for the event.

He said: “Being a part of the Olympic torch relay means so much to me, which is why I am marking the event with an extra special charity auction.

“I will be carrying the flame to represent all the lives that have been cruelly lost to bowel cancer and all the amazing survivors who have beaten the disease.

“Through my auction I hope to raise lots of money to help Beating Bowel Cancer raise awareness of the UK’s second biggest cancer killer and support patients like me.”

Mr Jones will also be hosting a fun day at Soulcialize in Crystal Palace on Saturday, July 28, to raise further funds and give people the chance to have their photograph taken holding the Olympic torch.

Tessa Jowell, MP for West Norwood and Dulwich, said: “Dafydd’s commitment, enthusiasm and positive spirit knows no bounds.

“The work he has done to raise funds for bowel cancer is quite remarkable and I will be so proud to be his MP when he carries the torch.”

For more details visit wannado something.co.uk.