Four Scout Leaders from Royal Greenwich District Scouts walked the whole of the Thames Path, raising money for the Alzheimer’s Society and Scouting in Royal Greenwich Borough. They were sucessful in their challenge and pledges have come in from across the area, supporting the event and raising money for these causes.

John Sweeney (District Commissioner, Royal Greenwich District Scouts), Mark Blackett, Stephen Ellis and Andrew Barber took part in the event walking many miles to raise awareness of these important organisations and charities.

Mark Blackett said: ''Scouting isn't just one day a week and involves lots of background work to plan exciting programmes for the young people. I became a Cub Scout in 1979 and haven't looked back since. 36 years later and we’re doing anything we can to help others and to show others the true meaning of Scouting, friendship, but most of all working together to help give as best start in life to young people that may have not get had that chance. Bringing young people together from a variety of backgrounds to all work together and become friends, Scouting is very much alive and is growing all the time.This is thanks to the support from the young people, their parents and Leaders. The Alzheimers Society is a charity that is very close to my heart and the thought of helping such a worthy cause got me through the tougher days of our journey!’ A fundraising page will be created shortly. In the meantime, donation pledges can be made here: https://www.facebook.com/events/836932736403980/ Based on information supplied by Rory Sheridan.