Elliza Raithby is taking on the ultimate challenge by running the Virgin Money London Marathon in April to raise money for the charity Beating Bowel Cancer.

The 24-year-old of Helegan Close,Orpington, is running to raise funds and awareness after her Dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012.

Elliza, who works for the delivery service Doddle, said: “It was a massive shock as he was such a healthy and active man.

“He is fine now after treatment but it was a horrible time for myself and him and if there is any way I can try and prevent others from going through what we’ve been through, I will go out of my way to do it.

“It means so much to run for my Dad.”

This will be Elliza’s first marathon and training is going well. “It’s been hard because I’m not a natural runner at all. But I’m getting fitter and stronger with each week.”

Beating Bowel Cancer is the support and campaigning charity for everyone affected by bowel cancer. They provide vital practical and emotional help – on the phone, digitally and face to face - and campaign to raise public awareness of the disease, as well as to ensure Governments and health services provide the highest quality care and treatments.

Graham Kelly, Director of Fundraising at Beating Bowel Cancer, said: “We’re very grateful for Elliza’s support and fundraising efforts, which will help the charity continue to help more patients. The marathon is a huge commitment to undertake and we wish her the best of luck for the challenge and we’ll be cheering her on from the side-lines.”

The charity advises people to go to the GP if they have any of the following symptoms for three weeks or more:

• Bleeding from the bottom or blood in your poo

• A persistent change in bowel habit, especially going more often or looser stools • Abdominal pain, especially if severe

• A lump in your tummy

• Unexplained weight loss or tiredness

To donate to Elliza’s fundraising effort, please visit: www.justgiving.com/runellizarun For more information and advice about bowel cancer visit www.beatingbowelcancer.org