In January I will volunteer for three months with the charity VSO on a development programme in the Philippines.

This is part of International Citizen Service (ICS), which brings young people together to fight poverty and make a difference where it is needed most. The Philippines is the third most disaster-risk country worldwide, and is among the countries where large percentages of population reside in disaster prone areas. due to its geography and geology, the Philippines has a high level of exposure to tropical storms or typhoons accompanied by heavy rain and/or strong winds resulting in floods, landslides, and storm surges; and is highly prone to earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and tsunamis.

I’ll be working alongside volunteers from the Philippines on a project that aims to tackle the issues Filipino residents face as a result of natural and weather disasters, the main focus on the project is disaster relief and risk reduction management.

My placement will wholly be funded by ICS, an organisation that works with communities that have specifically requested their help. It also aims to inspire young people in the UK and overseas to become active citizens who are passionate about long term community development.

However, I need to raise £800 for VSO who are one of the respected development charities that deliver ICS. The money I raise will allow them to continue to bring about positive change in the developing communities where they work. You can check out their amazing work here: http://www.vsointernational.org As well as the cake sales and bootfairs ive already done to raise money, I’m going to be doing various other fundraising activities and you can keep track of how I get on my Justgiving page. Any contribution from you, no matter the amount, will make a real difference to the lives of people in developing countries, so please dig deep! Donations can be made through my JustGiving page: www.justgiving.com/Kristine-Alexandra-Mitchell or through texting KRIS83 £5 to 70070.

Based on information supplied by Kristine Alexanra Mitchell.