Employees of WJ King SEAT Sidcup taking part in Shine Night Walk.

They have raised more than £500 so far for Cancer Research UK /Weeks of hard training mean the walkers are fighting the flab too Three staff from a leading SEAT car dealership have discovered a successful formula for fighting the flab – by training for this weekend’s charity Shine Night Walk in London.

Sales Manager Brian Florence, 52, and sales consultants Ashley Ide, 53, and Steven Luton, 47, who work at WJ King SEAT Sidcup, were thinking of ways of banishing their middle-aged spread when they came up with the idea of tackling the 26.2 mile walk and raising cash for Cancer Research UK.

On Saturday at 10.15pm they will line up with scores of other fund-raisers at the start of their marathon trek at Southwark Park and up to nine hours later will finish at Old Billingsgate in the heart of the city after passing iconic landmarks such as The Shard, Big Ben and the London Eye. Walkers – known as ‘Shiners’ – are encouraged to light up London by wearing bright clothes and carrying lights and glow sticks.

Brian said: “It all started when the three of us, all suffering from middle-aged spread, decided that sitting at your desk was doing our waistline no good at all.

“I became aware of the Shine walk for Cancer Research via their radio campaign and thought I would challenge the guys on the basis of getting fit, having some fun and raising money for a worthy cause.”

The trio – as well as a fourth member of the team 23-year-old Patrick Card - who used to work at WJ King SEAT Sidcup, but is now based at another dealership in the group, have raised more than £500 to date.

Brian added: “We are trying to make a difference as most of us have been touched by cancer in some way. Ashley and I have lost a stone each while Steve has shed a stone-and-a-half.”

If you would like to sponsor this intrepid quartet please visit www.justgiving.com/teams/fourgofar

Based on information supplied by Jonny Sharp.