A new Befriending Service is now available for people who live in Dartford and Gravesham.

The aim of the Befriending Service is to help reduce the loneliness and isolation felt by many people, both at home and within their local communities.

Volunteer Befrienders are trained and supported to visit people in their own homes on a regular basis, offering companionship and support, in turn helping to raise self esteem and build confidence for people who might otherwise spend days without seeing or speaking to anyone.

Age UK Befriending Service Coordinator for Dartford and Gravesham, Wendy Pfeiffer recently visited one lady who has already benefited from the service and was told: “I really look forward to my friend coming to see me, she is always so cheerful and it breaks the week up for me.”

The service is available from Age UKs in West Kent and its partners, Centre for Independent Living Kent (CiLK), The Simon Paul Foundation and Maidstone Mind.

According to the ‘Campaign to End Loneliness,’ there are 800,000 people in England who are chronically lonely, so if you know someone who might benefit from this service or if you would like to become a volunteer, please contact the Central Befriending Administrator for more information.

Freephone 0800 048 4668 Email befriending@ageukmaidstone.org.uk We can also be found on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/westkentbefriendingservice