Royal Fleet Auxiliary sailor Richard Preston-Jago from Chislehurst has just completed a life-saving mission to the Caribbean island of Dominica. Richard (52) known as PJ is serving in RFA Lyme Bay, the British ship tasked to provide aid to the Commonwealth island following Tropical Storm Erika.

The tropical storm caused wide-spread devastation to the island, washing away bridges and roads to leave parts of the population isolated and in need of supplies. Erika also caused numerous mud-slides, leaving at least 30 dead and 40 missing.

PJ grew up in Leeds before joining the Royal Navy in 1980. His 28 years in the Navy included deploying in 1982 as a gunner in the Falklands conflict serving in the aircraft carrier HMS Hermes, the first Gulf War in the frigate HMS Brazen and most recently off Iraq in 2003 in the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.

He changed career to join the RFA as a helicopter controller in 2010 and it was in this role that he played a key part in the delivery of disaster relief supplies to cut-off communities in Dominica.

The Royal Navy Lynx helicopter of 815 Naval Air Squadron was key to resupplying communities by air and PJ’s role was to act as the aircraft controller in the ship, directing the helicopter in accordance with the Commanding Officer’s intentions and ensuring the 25 delivery missions were able to happen.

When not on watch PJ, who lives in Chiselhurst, went ashore to support the Royal Marines and Royal Engineers of the Disaster Relief Troop. He was stationed at the improvised helicopter landing site alongside the Shore HQ from which RFA Lyme Bay’s efforts were run. His role ashore involved allocating stores for each helicopter mission, depending on the request from the individual communities, and then loading them into the Lynx.

PJ described his experiences: “This was the first disaster relief tasking I have been involved in and although I was only playing a small role, it was very rewarding. Going to war three times was certainly significant, but to be part of a team that is doing so much to help people who need and to see the immediate improvement which we brought about was moving. I am so glad I was here to do my bit”

RFA Lyme Bay was stationed off Dominica for 6 days at the start of September to provide first-response assistance on behalf of the British Government. Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said: “This is exactly the role that the ship and its helicopter is deployed to undertake in the region and it is right that Britain supported Dominica when needed. The men and women onboard can be very proud of their efforts, helping the people of the island to rebuild their lives and return to normality.”

The British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Victoria Dean, summed up RFA Lyme Bay’s hard work: “I was so sorry, as was everyone in the UK, to see the devastation that Tropical Storm Erika had on Dominica. In a few short hours, we saw just how vulnerable we all are to the effects of climate change.

I am so pleased, therefore, that RFA Lyme Bay has made such a significant contribution to dealing with the worst of the storm’s aftermath. The ship’s crew has made a real difference to this very special island and to its people. I am very grateful - and very proud - of all that they have achieved.”

Based on information supplied by Max Cosby- RFA Lyme Bay Press Officer.